This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4945 / 51°29'40"N
Longitude: -2.6172 / 2°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 357251
OS Northings: 177469
OS Grid: ST572774
Mapcode National: GBR C33.33
Mapcode Global: VH88F.LP8N
Entry Name: College House and westbury College
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379328
Location: Bristol, BS9
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Westbury-on-Trym and Henleaze
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Fishponds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
COLLEGE ROAD, Westbury On Trym
Westbury College and College House
(Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Westbury On Trym, Westbury College)
College, now house. 1459-69. For John Carpenter, Bishop of Worcester and Westbury. Dismantled 1643, house built from ruins 1709. Red sandstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings and concrete tile hipped roof. Square, single-depth plan gate tower, and attached screen wall forming the south side of the house. Four-stage ashlar gate tower has second-stage string, a drip below a crenellated parapet, and corner gargoyles; square ground-floor recess contains a two-centred arched carriage entrance with C20 infill; paired first- and second-stage Tudor-arched windows with label moulds, and C20 sash window in a square recess to the third floor. In the rear elevation are infilled one-, two- and three-light Tudor-arched windows, some with label moulds. Rubble screen wall to the left incorporates fragments of arches, and has two small inserted chamfered first-floor windows, and a pointed-arched doorway to the left with hollow chamfered reveals; on the left-hand corner is a projecting round stair turret with slit windows and a conical ashlar roof which curves up to a finial. Behind the screen wall is the C18 two-storey house with C20 sash windows.
INTERIOR: the gate tower has two sexpartite vaulted bays with bosses to the entrance passage at the base, and a winder stair to the roof. Few original details survive in the completely modernised house.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the college housed the Canons from Westbury Collegiate church, and was planned on the quadrangular system adopted in contemporary Oxford; it had originally four corner turrets, of which one other survives to Trym Road (qv). William Canynges, who paid for much of the C15 work on St Mary Redcliffe (qv) was Dean at the College after he became ordained, and may have contributed to its rebuilding. The College forms an important group with the collegiate Church of the Holy Trinity, Church Road (qv).
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11 May 2018.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings