This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8346 / 50°50'4"N
Longitude: -0.1775 / 0°10'38"W
OS Eastings: 528436
OS Northings: 105480
OS Grid: TQ284054
Mapcode National: GBR JNW.PXL
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JW.LPD
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabus
Listing Date: 10 September 1971
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187547
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365504
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Westbourne
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hove St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ20NE BYRON STREET
579-1/3/26 (North side)
10/09/71 Church of St Barnabus
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Barnabas)
Church. 1882-3, carving of capitals completed 1923. Architect
J.L. Pearson. Early English style.
Knapped flint with red brick and Bath stone dressings, clay
tiled roofs with decorative ridge tiles.
Cruciform in plan: apsidal ended chancel facing on to
Sackville Road, north and south transpets, NE organ bay and
vestry, SE Lady Chapel, 4-bay aisled nave with blind
clerestory, gabled porch in NE corner onto Coleridge Street,
entrance now in SW corner from Byron Street across the site of
the tower which was never built; there is a lead covered
fleche with bell over the crossing.
Interior: the originally exposed red brick has been
white-washed. Undivided nave and chancel with crownpost open
rafter roof, aisles rendered and cross vaulted. Marble tessera
pavement to sanctuary. A handsome square alabaster font on red
marble columns, oak pulpit and choir stalls all designed by
Pearson, the latter in 1893. Panelling in apse carved with
figures of saints, 1902. Large and ungainly reredos by
G.F.Bodley of Bodley and Garner, erected in 1907, the year of
the architect's death. The organ by J.C.Bishop and Son
occupies the south wall of the north transept; it was
purchased from St George's Chapel, Albemarle Street, London,
in 1904 and has since been rebuilt and enlarged. Gilded metal
rood screen early C20.
Unusual altar table in the Lady Chapel of gilded black laquer:
two sturdy legs of clustered columns with teardrop capitals
and an oak leaf decorated entablature, early C20 and rather
fine. Wooden eagle lecturn donated 1927; much stained glass: 5
lancets in chancel by Clayton and Bell. Striking West window,
a memorial to the dead of the First World War, dedicated 1923.
Three oil paintings on canvas including an early C19 version
of Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper measuring 10ft by 17ft.
A similar if not identical church design was offered by
Pearson for St Mathews, Silverhill, St Leonards in 1884. This
was completed more or less according to his plans, including
the tower which was not built at St. Barnabus.
(McDonald TJ: The First Century of St Barnabus: 1982-).
Listing NGR: TQ2843605480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings