This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6017 / 53°36'6"N
Longitude: -1.1912 / 1°11'28"W
OS Eastings: 453620
OS Northings: 411988
OS Grid: SE536119
Mapcode National: GBR NV3S.XM
Mapcode Global: WHDCN.NQZQ
Entry Name: St Anne's Rest Home
Listing Date: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1192073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334934
Location: Burghwallis, Doncaster, DN6
Civil Parish: Burghwallis
Built-Up Area: Burghwallis
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Burghwallis St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
BURGHWALLIS GRANGE LANE
SE 51 SW (south side, off)
3/70 St. Anne's Rest Home
Large house now a rest home. Probably early C16, extended 1797 for George
Anne (Miller, p293) and altered c1820 for Michael Anne; later additions.
Rubble magnesian limestone, C20 cement-tile roof. 2 storeys with attics;
H-plan C16 house with 5 x 1 bay late C18 range built parallel to southern
cross-wing. Entrance front (to east): chamfered plinth, large quoins.
Entrance in left (south) crossing of H-plan via a C19 Gothic Revival porch
having shafts to moulded arch flanked by diagonal buttresses rising as
spirelets; on right of, and above porch are sashes with glazing bars in
quoined surrounds; 3-light, double-chamfered, mullioned attic window.
Central recess, to right, has a large external stack corbelled out at
lst-floor level with offset shoulders at eaves and shaft now without flues.
Ground floor has two C20 casements in quoined surrounds on left of stack and
similar window on right; to 1st floor on left of stack is another section of
corbelled wall with sash to its left; to right of stack a centre-pivotted
casement. Right cross-wing: 2-light, ground-floor window in quoined surround
beneath relieving arch has an 8-pane sash and matching casement; lst-floor
and attic openings as left cross-wing. Added C18 range, set forward on far
left, has a tall sash with glazing bars beneath relieving arch to ground and
1st floors (both walled-up internally); attic storey of 1820 lit by 3-light,
mullioned window. C19 kneelers and gable copings throughout, stacks at eaves
on right of both left-hand wings. Rear: from internal angles of H-plan rise
gabled 3-storey stair turrets with some 6-pane sashes and 3-light, mullioned
attic windows. Left return: sashes with glazing bars in chamfered, quoined
surrounds; cut-back cornice beneath 5 blind gables of 1820.
Interior: exposed C16 trusses over south cross-wing have principal rafters
with straight-braced collars; 3 trusses over hall-block obscured; attic of
hall-block contains a priests' hiding hole. Former home of the recusant Anne
family. An early C19 sketch of the house shows the 1797 wing stuccoed and
pedimented. Later additions to north not of special interest.
E. Miller, The History and Antiquities of Doncaster, 1804.
Listing NGR: SE5362711978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings