History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in All Cannings, Wiltshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3536 / 51°21'12"N

Longitude: -1.9024 / 1°54'8"W

OS Eastings: 406894

OS Northings: 161614

OS Grid: SU068616

Mapcode National: GBR 3WG.5TN

Mapcode Global: VHB4H.Z74P

Plus Code: 9C3W933X+C3

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1192576

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311436

Location: All Cannings, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: All Cannings

Built-Up Area: All Cannings

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: All Cannings All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(south west side) 7/16 Old Rectory
Parsonage now house, rebuilt mid C17 for Robert Byng, rector from 1625; 1800-1807 and late C19 extensions. Cross wing of 1986. Core of building of mid C17, sarsen ground floor and brick upper floor, both with limestone ashlar quoins. Slate roofs. Early C19 work of buff brick, later.C19 work of red brick. Work of 1986 of red brick with raised stone quoins and arches. North-east front has 3-light stone-mullioned windows with reserved chamfers and continuous hoodmould. Upper brick wall 'has stone string and 'parapet withdatestones reading to left: MH /EATTn.. To right:
ANODN / 1642. Upper windows replaced by 16-pane sashes. Two hipped paned dormers. Large external brick stack at south east end with two diagonal shafts, now incorporated in later C19 twin gabled service rooms. To rear, early Cl9 stair block with round headed window.
Interior: North west room of original block, formerly the rector's study, has large stone fireplace with Tudor arch and spandrels. Ovolo moulded ceiling beams with stopped chamfers as church aisle indicating more extensive plan. Upper floor window has scratched inscription 'Wi / Coleridge the Poet. L J M 1809' Samuel Coleridge is claimed to be a visiting friend of the Methuen family. Early C19 extension had 2 storey bow window, demolished in

Listing NGR: SU0689461614

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.