This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9306 / 52°55'50"N
Longitude: -0.6324 / 0°37'56"W
OS Eastings: 492025
OS Northings: 337901
OS Grid: SK920379
Mapcode National: GBR DPY.8XX
Mapcode Global: WHGKH.8L3N
Entry Name: Church of Saint John
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382900
Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG31
Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe
Built-Up Area: Grantham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Grantham Manthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9237 HIGH ROAD, Manthorpe
1315-0/11/123 (North West side)
20/09/66 Church of St John
Parish church. 1847-1848, by G G Place of Nottingham. C20
additions. Ashlar with steep pitched slate roofs. Early
Decorated style. Chancel and vestry, nave and south porch,
with central tower and spire between them. Moulded plinth and
sill band, coped gables with crosses. Windows mainly have
pointed arches, tracery, and hood moulds with stops.
2 bay chancel has at the east end stepped diagonal buttresses
topped with pinnacles, and a 3-light window. South side has
two 2-light windows, and the north side, a single light
window. Vestry has 2 segment arched windows to east and a
similar door to west. 3 bay nave has two 2-light windows to
south and a single lancet to north. West end has a larger
2-light window. North side has a single storey addition, mid
C20. South porch has a chamfered doorway with hood mould.
Square tower, 3 stages, has stepped angle buttresses to north
and south, string courses, and corbel table. The lower stages
have single lancets to north and south, and the bell stage has
a 2-light pointed arched opening on each side. Octagonal
broach spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes and 3 tiers of crockets.
Interior, rendered, has scissor braced roofs to nave and
chancel. Under the tower, double chamfered arches to east and
west, on corbels, and cross beam ceiling. Chancel has a
segmental pointed door to north, and a stained glass east
window, 1848. Nave has a similar west window, 1848, by
Willement, and on the south side, 2 stained glass windows,
1982. North side has a C20 double door.
Fittings include Decorated style octagonal ashlar font and
pulpit, and simple wooden benches, stalls and desks, all 1848.
Wooden lectern mid C20. Royal arms in a quatrefoil, 1848.
Memorials include marble and slate war memorial tablet, c1920.
An estate church provided for workers on the Belton estate by
the Brownlow family of Belton House.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 550).
Listing NGR: SK9202537901
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings