This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5241 / 51°31'26"N
Longitude: -0.1052 / 0°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 531548
OS Northings: 182276
OS Grid: TQ315822
Mapcode National: GBR N7.JT
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.4Y7J
Entry Name: Number 20 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195726
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369268
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182SE ST JAMES'S WALK
635-1/74/773 (North West side)
and attached railings
Former Clerkenwell Parochial School. 1828. By William Lovett;
the upper school room at the back added 1858 by W.P.Griffith.
Yellow brick to the front building, purple and yellow brick to
the school room, all set in Flemish bond, stucco, roof of
Welsh slate. Three storeys over basement, three-window range,
double-fronted. All openings have gauged brick heads.
Segmental-arched entrance with doorcase of Roman Doric
columns, cornice, fanlight with decorative glazing, and
panelled door of original design. All windows flat-arched,
those to ground floor covered over, the rest with sashes of
original design. Round-arched subsidiary entrance to
right-hand side. C20 stucco fascia above ground floor; stucco
storey band above first floor and stucco band to parapet. The
school room at the back is of two storeys and seven-window
range; the windows have cambered arches with heads of yellow
brick and sashes generally of original design; entrances to
ground floor in second and sixth bays from the front, external
steps up to entrance to upper floor in seventh bay; parapet;
hipped roof; side and end stacks. Cast-iron railings to area.
INTERIOR: . The three-storey front is one room deep. Entrance
hall with moulded stucco cornice; the panelling continues up
the stairs to the first floor. The staircase with turned
newels, closed string and stick balusters, enclosed on the
first flight between the first and second floors. Architraves
and panelled doors of original design to doorways on ground
and first floors. Ground-floor left-hand room has dado rail,
panelled dado below windows, and early C19 fireplace flanked
by bowed fitted cupboards. First-floor left-hand room has dado
rail, panelled dado below windows, moulded stucco cornice,
early C19 fireplace with cast-iron grate flanked by bowed
fitted cupboards, panelled cupboards to partition wall, and
broad, flat-arched opening with architrave to upper school
room. First-floor right-hand room has panelled dado below
windows, early C19 fireplace, and bowed corner cupboard.
Second-floor right-hand room has dado with tongue-and-groove
panelling, left-hand room has early C19 fireplace.
The lower school room is long with three wooden columns,
square in plan, chamfered and with stepped 'capitals',
carrying the room above; three early C19 fireplaces with
cast-iron grates and simple wooden surrounds, two to the flank
wall and one to the end. The upper school room has three
fireplaces as on the floor below; the ceiling formed of
segmental arches with one exposed beam between the third and
fourth bays from the front, and four metal tie bars.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3155582281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings