This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5247 / 51°31'28"N
Longitude: -0.1038 / 0°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 531643
OS Northings: 182344
OS Grid: TQ316823
Mapcode National: GBR N7.VM
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.4YZ2
Entry Name: 201, St John Street
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195733
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369293
Location: Islington, London, EC1V
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
ST JOHN STREET (West side)
(Formerly Listed as: ST JOHN STREET Wall at rear of No 201 in Sekforde
Includes: Rear wall to 201 St John Street, immediately south of 33 Sekforde Street WOODBRIDGE STREET.
Former Nicholson's distillery, now offices and warehousing. Formerly dated 1828 on frieze. By John Blyth. Yellow brick with dressings of stucco and stone, roof of artificial slate so far as visible. Four storeys over basement, thirteen-window range; centrepiece and endpieces, each of one-window range. Stucco plinth with segmental-arched openings to basement; flat-arched entrance with stucco architrave, presumably now much simplified. Giant pilasters rising through ground, first and second floors, and supporting deep simple entablature. All windows, except those under the fourth-floor pediments, are segmental-arched with gauged brick heads and cast iron, centre-hung, 5/4 casements; the windows are set in a recess of one brick's thickness between pilasters. The attic storey has a stepped parapet apart from pediments to the fourth and tenth bays from the left, under which are three narrow round-arched windows.
Rear wall in Woodbridge Street. c.1830. Yellow brick and stucco. Plinth with broad stucco band above; then an arcade of nine bays formed by brick pilasters, carrying a dentil cornice and former blocking course of stucco; between the pilasters blank round arches with stucco impost blocks and gauged brick heads; above the blocking course a parapet probably raised beyond its original height, with pilasters continued as pilaster strips.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3164382344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings