This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5271 / 51°31'37"N
Longitude: -0.1107 / 0°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 531158
OS Northings: 182602
OS Grid: TQ311826
Mapcode National: GBR M6.9R
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1WB6
Entry Name: Numbers 25 to 37 (Consecutive) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369435
Location: Islington, London, WC1X
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182NW WILMINGTON SQUARE
635-1/68/906 (North West side)
29/09/72 Nos.25-37 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
Thirteen terraced houses. On a pedestrian walk along the north
side of square. 1829-1831. By John Wilson, builder for Lord
Compton and the Spa Fields Estate. Yellow stock brick laid in
Flemish bond with banded stucco ground-floor and stucco
dressings; roofs obscured by parapet (except no. 25 with
Welsh-slate mansard), brick party-wall stacks. Side-hall
entrance plan with staircase. Three storeys with basement (and
attic to no. 25 only); 2 windows each plus 3 windows (all
blind) to right (Wilmington Street) and 1 window to left-hand
(Yardley Street) return walls. Symmetrical group with
projecting end-houses and nos. 31-32 being a centrepiece,
breaking forward. Steps rise to entrance (nos. 25 and 37 with
1-storey entrance extension): round-arched doorway set in
narrow stucco recess with fluted 1/4 column jambs carrying
corniced-head, plain fanlights, and panelled door (nos. 29,
31, 34, 36 original). Ground-floor round-arched sashes with
mostly 6/6 curved and radial glazing bars and all but nos. 27,
28 and 31 with cast-iron window guards. Gauged-brick flat
arches to upper storeys except 1st floor sashes to ends and
centrepiece which are gauged-brick round arches. 1st floor
stucco sill band beneath full-length 6/6 sashes with
individual and coupled (no. 37 only) cast-iron balconies
supported by iron brackets. Double stucco sill band to 2nd
floor 6/6 sashes. Stucco moulded bands beneath cornice and
blocking course. Attached cast-iron railings with urn finials.
Wilmington Square was created from the Earls of Northampton's
Spa Fields Estate, which in 1817 the 9th Earl assigned to his
heir Lord Compton. The subsequent building in Wilmington
Square was one of London's 1st post-Waterloo developments.
Progress was piecemeal: the south terrace was the 1st and
grandest; the north terrace (nos. 25-37) was not completed
until 1831. For financial reasons the square was reduced in
depth and thus became a backwater on the fringes of estates.
It was the north terrace that was most drastically altered: it
was built well short of Margery Street and has only 3 floors
with a high pedestrian walk rather than a street front.
(The Squares of Islington: Cosh, M: The Squares of Islington
Part I: Finsbury and Clerkenwell: Islington: 1990-: 93-98).
Listing NGR: TQ3115882602
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings