This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7382 / 53°44'17"N
Longitude: -2.9593 / 2°57'33"W
OS Eastings: 336817
OS Northings: 427298
OS Grid: SD368272
Mapcode National: GBR 7TS6.3P
Mapcode Global: WH85P.J90K
Entry Name: Lytham United Reformed Church, with Attached Garden Wall and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 15 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385231
Location: Fylde, Lancashire, FY8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Lytham St Anne's
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lytham St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
LYTHAM ST ANNES
SD3627SE BANNISTER STREET, Lytham
621-1/6/9 (West side)
Lytham United Reformed Church, with
attached garden wall and gate piers
Congregational church, now United Reformed church. 1861-2, by
W.F.Poulton of Reading; with addition at north end dated 1910.
Rock faced yellow sandstone with some red sandstone dressings,
steeply-pitched slate roofs with fishscale bands and cockscomb
ridges. Rectangular plan on north-south axis parallel to
street, with gabled entrance front to south incorporating
spire at south-east corner.
The south front has a large 2-centred arched 5-light traceried
window; to the left, a gabled porch with a 2-centred arched
doorway which has a moulded surround including a nailhead band
to the head and a polychrome extrados band (the ends
intersecting and run out to the gable coping); to the right, a
slender buttressed tower which has a similar doorway in the
front (to the gallery staircase) and another in the right-hand
side (to the church), and an elongated and steeply-weathered
2nd stage which has a narrow lancet and is tapered to an
octagonal section, forming the base of the spire which is
surrounded by an arcade of cusped lancets under steep gablets.
The east side has 5 narrow bays divided by full-height
buttresses, with a lancet window in each bay; and a corbel
table to the eaves. The roof has very small lead-clad gablets
in the slope.
The addition at the north end (containing vestries and a
meeting room) is single-storeyed, 5 bays (the 5th set back),
and has a porch in the 3rd bay which has a segmental-headed
doorway with Perpendicular tracery in the overlight and a
gable lettered "1910", and square-headed windows with
Perpendicular tracery (3, 2, 2 and 2 lights); and its north
gable wall has a large canted bay window of 1, 3 and 1
traceried lights, all these windows with stained glass in
debased Art Nouveau style.
INTERIOR: gallery at south end, apsidal organ gallery at north
end, arch-braced roof, and original numbered benches with
brass umbrella brackets.
Garden wall, attached to south-east corner of church and
returned along North Clifton Street where it links with the
former Sunday School, with canted corner gateway: low wall
with chamfered coping (former railings missing), Gothic
gatepiers at the corner. Included as part of complete set.
Listing NGR: SD3681727298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings