This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3517 / 50°21'6"N
Longitude: -3.5786 / 3°34'43"W
OS Eastings: 287787
OS Northings: 51390
OS Grid: SX877513
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RB7B
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.FNS
Entry Name: 1, Duke Street
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Last Amended: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387228
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 DUKE STREET
673-1/8/106 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1 AND 3
Steam Packet Inn)
Merchant's house, now shop with flats above. Probably 1639,
built on land leased to Edward Spurway, with various C19 and
C20 modernisations. Mixed construction; thick local stone
rubble side walls with plastered timber-framed front and back
walls; original stack in left party wall and secondary stack
in right wall have C19 brick chimneyshafts with pots; slate
PLAN: End onto the street with a one-room plan.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys; one-window range. The ends of the stone
side walls corbel out to carry the jettied upper storeys; the
right one contains a stone plaque at first-floor level with
worn or obscured inscription. Ground floor has modernised C19
timber shop front, central window and corner posts to recessed
doorway near left end which contains a bottom-panelled glazed
door under narrow plain overlight. House has separate recessed
doorway to right, with C20 part-glazed door under an overlight
grille. Upper floors contain tripartite sashes with central
horned 4-pane sashes. Half-hipped roof.
INTERIOR: Mostly the result of C19 and C20 modernisation.
Ground floor has been cleared of any partitions and rear wall
knocked through to connect with No.3 Duke Street (qv) and
No.12 The Quay (qv). C17 carpentry and other features probably
survive behind the C19 and C20 plaster.
HISTORY: This is one of a group of merchants' houses built on
reclaimed land in a Town Corporation-backed scheme to reclaim
land for housing and expand the port facilities with the New
Quay. This began in 1585, and by the second phase, in the
1630s, this was the most fashionable part of the town, and the
surviving C17 houses are amongst the best merchants' houses of
their period in Devon and bear comparison with any in England.
They dominate the scale and appearance of the area and
influenced the style of many of the later buildings in their
(Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore:
Listing NGR: SX8778851389
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings