This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3517 / 50°21'6"N
Longitude: -3.5787 / 3°34'43"W
OS Eastings: 287781
OS Northings: 51389
OS Grid: SX877513
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RB67
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.FMP
Entry Name: 3, Duke Street
Listing Date: 11 December 1969
Last Amended: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387229
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 DUKE STREET
673-1/8/107 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1 AND 3
Steam Packet Inn)
Merchant's house, more recently the Steam Packet Inn, now tea
rooms with offices and flats above. Dated 1639, built on land
leased to Edward Spurway, with various C19 and C20
modernisations. Mixed construction; thick local stone rubble
side walls with plastered timber-framed front and back walls;
original stone rubble stack with C19 brick chimneyshaft to
right party wall; slate roof.
PLAN: End onto the street with a one-room plan; no
ground-floor fireplace because this was always a shop. Curved
alcove to rear of left party wall indicates position of
original newel stair and suggests former side passage along
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; one-window range. The ends of
the stone side walls corbel out to carry the jettied upper
floors and both contain worn stone plaques at first-floor
level: the right one is thought to belong to this house and
has 1639 date with initials WB and ES. Ground floor has late
C19 timber shop front, 3 lights with overlights flanked by
recessed doorways, each containing a similar part-glazed door
under an overlight with glazing bars. Bottom edge of
first-floor bressummer carved with a kind of bead-and-reel -
very early for 1639. Canted bay to first floor with front
horned 4-pane sash and similar sashes to second floor and
attic with a narrower sash second-floor left. Gable above with
C19 open wavey bargeboards and timber apex finial and pendant.
INTERIOR: Mostly the result of C19 and C20 modernisation.
Ground floor has been cleared of any partitions and rear wall
knocked through to connect with No.1 Duke Street (qv) and
No.12 The Quay (qv). C17 carpentry and other features probably
survive behind the C19 and C20 plaster.
HISTORY: This is one of a group of merchants' houses built on
reclaimed land in a Town Corporation-backed scheme to reclaim
land for housing and expand the port facilities with the New
Quay. This began in 1585, and by the second phase, in the
1630s, this was the most fashionable part of the town and the
surviving C17 houses are amongst the best merchants' houses of
their period in Devon.
(Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore:
Listing NGR: SX8778351388
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings