This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1148 / 54°6'53"N
Longitude: -3.2305 / 3°13'49"W
OS Eastings: 319658
OS Northings: 469472
OS Grid: SD196694
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWV.DP
Mapcode Global: WH72H.BTWW
Plus Code: 9C6R4Q79+WQ
Entry Name: Working Men's Club and Institute
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388394
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1969SE ABBEY ROAD
708-1/12/25 (North West side)
06/05/76 Working Men's Club and Institute
Club. 1870-71. By HA Darbishire (Almanack). Brindled brick
with rubbed brick and ashlar sandstone dressings, graduated
slate roof. 2 storeys, 3:3:3 bays with 1-storey, 3x4 bay side
wing on right and C20 side wing to left.
Main range: symmetrical. Centre breaks forward and has moulded
plinth and channel rustication to ground floor. Panelled
double door and blind fanlight under rubbed-brick arch with
keystone; small sashes to each side with panelled aprons, flat
arches and keystones.
1st floor: iron-railed balcony on slender, stone brackets;
part-glazed door under archivolt with keystone flanked by
composite pilasters and by small sashes in recesses with
shells also under archivolts with keystones; double pilasters
to each side. Ashlar corbel table to dentilled ashlar pediment
with carved Borough Arms in tympanum; on the apex a small
window in ashlar dormer supported by seated putti. Outer bays:
large round-arched sashes with glazing bars beneath Moorish,
rubbed-brick arches with impost string course and keystones.
Brick floor band beneath recesses with paired sashes given
simplified treatment as ground floor; corbels within the
recesses then the eaves corbel table as centre; ashlar cornice
and ogee gutter.
Hipped roof with small oval dormers (now fibreglass) and vents
above; over the pediment is a swept, roof projection with
square turret under bracketed cornice and ogee cupola with
pyramidal finial and weathervane. Side wing to right: windows
as main range; corbelled pediment with oculus; hipped roof
with louvred ridge vent.
INTERIOR: stair hall has original patterned, tile floor;
cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron balustrade and
newel post, wreathed oak handrail; pyramidal ceiling lantern.
Hall to 1st floor left has scissor-braced roof trusses. Built
at a cost of »3,450 on site given by the Furness Railway Co;
principal benefactor HW Schneider. The Borough Arms carved by
'Miles of Preston' (Almanack). The freestanding granite
columns flanking main entrance bear dates 1870 and 1930 but do
not appear to relate to the original building.
(Barrow in Furness Almanack and Tide Tables: Barrow in
Furness: 1886-: 67-68).
Listing NGR: SD1965869472
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings