This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1144 / 54°6'51"N
Longitude: -3.2303 / 3°13'49"W
OS Eastings: 319673
OS Northings: 469419
OS Grid: SD196694
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWV.GW
Mapcode Global: WH72H.CV07
Entry Name: Conservative Club
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388385
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1969SE ABBEY ROAD
708-1/12/16 (South East side)
06/05/76 Conservative Club
(Formerly Listed as:
Conservative Club including entrance
to Queen's Hall)
Club. 1879-99. By JY McIntosh (plans). Ashlar sandstone
facade, graduated slate roof.
2 storeys, 3:3:3 bays. Asymmetrical with pedimented centre and
side wings treated differently; Classical details. Moulded
plinth; panelled pedestals to fluted Corinthian pilasters at
principal divisions; continuous moulded sill bands and fluted
1st floor string course.
Main entrance to centre bay has panelled double door and
gilded fanlight beneath archivolt with console keystone and
carved spandrels; leaded side-lights flanked by pilasters with
carved brackets to cornice surmounted by balustraded balcony.
Mullioned, 2-light windows to each side have cornices. Bays
1-3 has recessed double doors under round arch within
pedimented aedicule; Venetian window to each side. Bays 7-9
have single doorway beneath keyed oculus on left of two
12-pane sashes in architraves.
1st floor: balcony doors and overlight with glazing bars in
pedimented aedicule on raised panel; 12-pane sashes to each
side have apron panels and segmental arches with keystones
within shouldered architraves; windows of bays 7-9 the same.
Bay 1-3: blind pilastrade with central, keyed oculus in
scrolled panel under arched cornice.
Entablature has plain frieze and dentilled cornice; the
central pediment modillioned and with keyed oculus in
tympanum. Coped ashlar parapet to hipped roof with corniced
stack to right of centre and another to right end; truncated
ventilator over left wing. Right return: 2 bays in ashlar;
1-storey, 4-bay brick wing on right.
INTERIOR: extensively remodelled; former Queen's Hall in left
wing now a billiard room with dance-hall over. Foundation
stone (on front right pilaster pedestal) laid by Sir Charles
Cayzer 17.8.1897; building opened 21.9.1898. Plans survive and
are dated 1897, they show a different facade treatment.
(Building Plans Register: 1897-: 3678 ALSO BDB/20).
Listing NGR: SD1967369419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings