This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9898 / 51°59'23"N
Longitude: -2.162 / 2°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 388972
OS Northings: 232382
OS Grid: SO889323
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.66P
Mapcode Global: VH93T.G7XZ
Plus Code: 9C3VXRQQ+W6
Entry Name: Abbey Gatehouse
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376556
Location: Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO83SE ABBEY PRECINCTS
859-1/2/352 Abbey Gatehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
Gatehouse to Abbey House)
Gatehouse to Benedictine Abbey precincts, modified for holiday
use by Landmark Trust (1991). Late C15 or early C16. Guiting
stone ashlar and lias, lead roof.
PLAN: large square 2-storey gatehouse linked left to Abbey
House (qv), and right to Abbey Barn (qv).
EXTERIOR: wide pointed arch in 2 moulded orders with moulded
drip beneath two 2-light cusped hollow-chamfered stone
casements flanking central statue niche with decorative
canopy. Boldly crenellated top above hollow-mould cornice with
central angel and end gargoyles and 3 leaf decorations each
side. Mid offset moulded string, diagonal buttresses to 2
offsets, plinth. Set back from outer opening approx 2.5m is
doorway to 4-centred head in double-chamfer surround with
heavy C19 doors, with small 4-centred opening and door in
moulded surround, to left. Above is central ribbed vault with
half-vault each side.
Internal side walls in large coursed lias blocks. The inner,
SE front is as outer, but without central statue niche, and
with series of putlog holes each side of opening, which has no
doors. Internally is vaulted roof in 1+2 half bays as outer
vestibule. Side walls, in lias, contain small 4-centred
doorways with plank doors in heavy flush quoin surrounds; that
to right (SW) side gives to spiral stone stair contained in
projecting ashlar turret on that side, the turret finishing
below main parapet level.
INTERIOR: one large room at first floor, with heavy beamed
compartmental roof structure of 1950s reconstruction carried
on series of carved corbels, mainly C19, but some C16. On NE
wall a large dressed Guiting stone fireplace with moulded
4-centred arch, all brought forward from main wall plane. At
time of survey being fitted with new oak partitions for
VCH records that by 1849 the Gatehouse was badly dilapidated,
and was then restored by John Medland, architect, with masonry
by Thomas Collins; the carved oak doors are from 1855.
(VCH: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 125).
Listing NGR: SO8897032378
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings