History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monastery Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9895 / 51°59'22"N

Longitude: -2.1623 / 2°9'44"W

OS Eastings: 388953

OS Northings: 232349

OS Grid: SO889323

Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.64M

Mapcode Global: VH93T.G8R6

Entry Name: Monastery Cottage

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 25 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282808

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376557

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO83SE ABBEY PRECINCTS
859-1/2/354 Monastery Cottage
04/03/52
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEY PRECINCTS
Nos.1, 2 and 3 Abbey Cottages
including wall on east)

GV II

Detached house. C16 and C17. Random stonework, timber-framing,
brick, tiled roof. An L-plan, the main N/S block may have been
cross-passage 2-room, but wing to E possibly earlier.
2 storeys, the main W front 2-windowed; to left recessed
chamfer stone mullioned casements, 3-light at first floor,
breaking through eaves to slight dormer, and at ground floor
4-light with drip mould, and incorporating an inserted moulded
mullion. To right a 3-light C19 casement above 9-pane fixed
light to segmental brick arch, and a small single light,
centre ; all this in rough coursed squared stone. Right return
has brick nogged framed gable over random stone, with 2-light
above 3-light casements as front, with drip courses. To right
at back eaves a large brick stack, then framed wing with two
2-light casements at first floor, above various later
outbuildings.
N gable random stone has 2-light casement low left, and
mid-height centre a blocked opening to remains of ogee or
4-centred arch. Above a moulded string at collar height 2
lofty C17 brick stacks set diagonally, the flues separated.
Back has stone section with single light at first floor set in
chamfered surround above blocked doorway; left is set-back
brick nogged framing above brought forward stone principal
entry with plank door in 4-centred arch with spandrels. Framed
wing returns to left, with two 2-light casements at first
floor and one below.
INTERIOR: main parlour with heavy chamfered stopped beam and
fine C16 moulded 4-centred fireplace; kitchen end with rough
spine beam, cut through where later central winder stair
inserted, and heavy bressumer fire, now boarded in, with bread
oven to left. Rear kitchen, in wing, with chamfered stopped
beam. Windows set to deep embrasures, including small light to
W front, probably former doorway. Back wing has heavy jowelled
posts, but roof timbers seem to have been modified. Main roof
in 3 bays, with principals stopped to collars, large square
ties, many original rafters, and one range wind bracing;
ventilating slit in N gable.
An important building archaeologically, thought to have been
part of the monastery Almonry, and connected to Abbey Barn
(qv) by remains of the barn's continued W wall.


Listing NGR: SO8895432346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.