This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9901 / 51°59'24"N
Longitude: -2.1622 / 2°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 388957
OS Northings: 232413
OS Grid: SO889324
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.65H
Mapcode Global: VH93T.G7SR
Plus Code: 9C3VXRRQ+24
Entry Name: Abbey Lodge Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376746
Location: Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 83 SE TEWKESBURY GLOUCESTER ROAD
(South East side)
Nos.1 AND 2
27.07.1973 Abbey Lodge including
Detached house, formerly St Mary's Vicarage, now in 2 occupations. 1846, by Samuel Daukes. Stucco or painted brick, slate roof. Large square double-depth block to low-pitched roof with flat centre section. Domestic Tudor style. 2 storeys, part basement, 3-windowed, with small one-storey wing to left, and later 2-storey wing brought forward, right. Front is symmetrical, with central bay brought forward to gable, and with deep porch to steep-pitched roof. Windows stone-framed casements with flush alternating quoin stones and moulded dropped and stopped drip courses. First floor has paired 8-pane casements to narrow central mullion, and ground floor replaced with uPVC, each side of central unit, with stone shield of arms in gable above 2-light casement with transom, above porch with small rectangular casements to 4-centred heads flanking doorway in chamfered pointed arch with C19 door.
To left a small contemporary one-storey lean-to wing with wavy barge-board above single-light casement, and to right a 2-storey hipped wing brought forward, with 4-pane sashes. Plinth, with a cement-rendered unpainted band above, buttress with 3 offsets at each end of main front, partly concealed, right, by wing, moulded mid string, and ground-floor cill band. Deep box eaves with scalloped decorative band set back to wall face; this continues to both sides, but not across back eaves. Decorative wavy barge-boards to central gable, porch, and low wing to left.
Back has flush stone-framed windows, all lofty 2-light ,. mullioned casements to drips, but central l-storey canted lead-hipped bay, with 4-centred heads to lights; grille to basement window at S end. There are no stacks visible.
Left (N) flank in painted brick has 2-light stone mullioned casement with drip at ground floor, and to first floor, central, a single light with drip flanked by blind recesses to round arches, all set on rendered panel and with common stone cill. Right return has lofty brick wall containing plank door in 4-centred arch, and, in swept-down section, a further blocked pointed opening. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: brick wall continues completely round property at varying heights, including to road in 6 bays with flat dividing piers carrying low pyramidal stone caps at approx 1.8m height. For 4 bays the wall rests on remains of stone plinth, probably from earlier walling to the Abbey Precincts.
Historical Note: second floor, probably added in late C19 and not a part of Daukes' original design, removed in 1970.
Listing NGR: SO8886332171
Other nearby listed buildings