This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5223 / 53°31'20"N
Longitude: -2.7544 / 2°45'15"W
OS Eastings: 350081
OS Northings: 403107
OS Grid: SD500031
Mapcode National: GBR 9W6Q.G3
Mapcode Global: WH86R.NQLM
Plus Code: 9C5VG6CW+W6
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388997
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50SW CRAWFORD ROAD, Crawford
783-1/4/84 (North side)
07/01/52 Manor House
Manor house; renovation and partial re-building in progress at
time of survey. Dated 1718 on porch; altered. Coursed squared
sandstone (sand-blasted), restored stone slate roof, brick
Rectangular 3-bay one-and-a-half depth plan with projecting
porch. Late example of vernacular style, combining symmetrical
form with traditional features. Two-and-a-half storeys, 2:1:2
windows, symmetrical; with a high chamfered plinth, channelled
corner pilasters, and plain drip-bands on 2 levels.
In the centre is a two-and-a-half storey gabled porch which
has a round-headed outer doorway, up 2 semi-circular steps,
with a moulded surround and prominent moulded imposts, a
recessed fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and a
square-headed inner doorway with a moulded architrave and a
door with 6 fielded panels; a rectangular datestone inscribed
"1718" and a transomed 6-light window at 1st floor, and a
cross-window above, both these with moulded architraves and
keyblocks and short straight bands over them.
Both principal floors have similar transomed 6-light windows,
and over each outer bay is a gabled half-dormer with a
cross-window; all windows have flat-faced mullions and
transoms, all those to the left recently renewed, (and lacked
glazing at time of survey). 2 large clustered ridge chimneys.
The left gable wall (recently rebuilt) has a central doorway
and 2 cross-windows on each floor (except for a 6-light window
at 1st floor); the right-hand gable wall is blind. The
4-window rear wall has mullioned windows with chamfered
surrounds and flat-faced mullions, including 2 of 4 lights at
the east end (the lower altered by insertion of a doorway) and
3 gabled 2-light half-dormers; and 2 double-chamfered
cross-windows to the staircase.
INTERIOR: direct entry into the centre of 3 principal rooms at
ground floor; narrow axial corridor, with small rooms and
staircase to rear of this; partition walls of brick (but some
now replaced with concrete blocks); some large chamfered beams
in the east and rear rooms (but other floors renewed);
doglegged staircase with closed string, square newels with
shouldered panels, turned balusters and moulded handrail (1st
stage removed at time of survey).
HISTORY: probably built for Christopher Pennington of Up
Holland. A fine example of its type and date.
(Private Report and Survey: Miller G: 1987-).
Listing NGR: SD5008103107
Other nearby listed buildings