This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.473 / 51°28'22"N
Longitude: -2.6279 / 2°37'40"W
OS Eastings: 356486
OS Northings: 175077
OS Grid: ST564750
Mapcode National: GBR C0B.QT
Mapcode Global: VH88M.D7LN
Plus Code: 9C3VF9FC+5R
Entry Name: Numbers 40 and 42 and Attached Front Garden Walls and Ball Finials
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202201
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379516
Location: Stoke Bishop, Bristol, BS9
Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5775 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park
901-1/31/1796 (South East side)
04/03/77 Nos.40 AND 42
and attached front garden walls and
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.45, 47 AND 36-42 (Even))
Pair of attached houses. 1898. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked
limestone rubble and dressings, tile-hung top floor, brick
ridge and diagonally-set external stacks and tiled gabled and
hipped roof. Queen Anne style. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys
and basement; 3-window range.
A well-detailed, near symmetrical front with projecting paired
central gables, and a matching gable in the Julian Road right
elevation. The entrance to the right of the gables has a large
Tuscan porch and a segmental-arched 2-leaf door with a lozenge
panel, that in the left return has an eared architrave with a
panel above to a 2-leaf ridged door.
Ground-floor stone-framed mullion and transom leaded
casements, timber first-floor windows with plate-glass
casements, leaded above the transoms, and second-floor
casements projecting slightly on small brackets. The
ground-floor is divided by a raked buttress to the party wall,
and 4-light windows either side with a central king mullion,
under a parapet with a cartouche; first-floor canted bays have
Ipswich windows, with tapering octagonal columns from the ends
of the parapet to the overhanging gable above; second-floor
4-light casements, under modillion eaves.
To the right, flanking the doorway, is a large chimney breast,
and to the left a ground-floor segmental bow window beneath a
balcony, with 3-light windows to the ground and first floors,
and a gabled second-floor eaves dormer.
INTERIOR: hall screen with stained-glass half-glazed door and
side lights, a tiled central hall, and a fireplace and
built-in dresser cupboards in the rear right-hand room; the
stairs were removed when the house was converted to flats.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers
with ball finials. Strongly influenced by Norman Shaw's
Bedford Park, 1881.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 398).
Listing NGR: ST5648675077
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings