This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4574 / 51°27'26"N
Longitude: -2.5875 / 2°35'15"W
OS Eastings: 359275
OS Northings: 173318
OS Grid: ST592733
Mapcode National: GBR C9J.RF
Mapcode Global: VH88N.3MFM
Plus Code: 9C3VFC46+WX
Entry Name: The Former Quaker Meeting House
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202463
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380238
Location: Bristol, BS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/11/2016
The Friary Building
The Former Quaker Meeting House
(Formerly listed as The Meeting House, QUAKERS FRIARS)
Former Quaker meeting house. 1747-9. By George Tully. Stonework details designed and supplied by Thomas Paty, also the contractor. Render with limestone dressings and a leaded roof with hipped Welsh slate roof to a Delabole slate
Square open plan. Mid Georgian style. 2 storeys; 3-window range. A symmetrical front with a plat band and moulded, coped parapet, ramped up at the corners. A large, central doorcase has a triple keyed, moulded architrave inscribed 1747, consoles to pediment and a 2-leaf, 8-panel door. Segmental-arched surrounds with sill blocks to flanking 4/8-pane sashes and 3 taller 8/8-pane sashes on the first floor. Similar side elevations each of a 4-window range without doorways. Square lantern has sashes to each face.
INTERIOR: a pedimented inner porch with pilasters and panelled side doors, to a 3x3 bay auditorium, articulated by Doric columns on high octagonal plinths; panelled side galleries to 3 sides between the columns, and keyed, semicircular-arched doorways from the lobby to steps up to them; at the blind W end stood the preacher's desk, in front of a dado and entablature, with stair rails at each end with turned balusters and square newels; central square lantern has a coved ceiling.
FITTINGS: some seating remains in the galleries. The Quakers were established on the site from 1670. An interior of 'noble simplicity' (Ison), restored c1960, with inserted offices. Exceptionally ambitious for a Quaker building and clearly influenced by Wesley's New Rooms (qv).
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979: 129; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952: 62; An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986: 65).
Listing NGR: ST5927773319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings