History in Structure

Cutlers' Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4574 / 51°27'26"N

Longitude: -2.5879 / 2°35'16"W

OS Eastings: 359252

OS Northings: 173323

OS Grid: ST592733

Mapcode National: GBR C9J.ND

Mapcode Global: VH88N.3M8M

Plus Code: 9C3VFC46+XV

Entry Name: Cutlers' Hall

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217854

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380235

ID on this website: 101217854

Location: Newtown, Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



ST5973 QUAKERS FRIARS, Broadmead
901-1/40/490 Cutlers' Hall


Monastery dormitory, cutlers' guild hall, now offices. Part of
the Dominican friary of c1230, converted C16, restored mid
C19. Pennant rubble, limestone dressings and pantile roof.
First-floor hall plan. 2 storeys; N elevation has a 15-window
range: left-hand C20 porch. Ground-floor windows incorporating
one paired ogee-headed window, and first-floor C19 lancets
with splayed reveals; E end has C13 stepped lancets with round
trefoil heads, reportedly moved from the nearby Bakers' Hall
(qv); the W end has a C14 two-light window with mouchette
quatrefoil head; the mid C19 south elevation has a 9-window
range: a left-hand doorway with shouldered lintel and moulded
jambs with tulips to the top; 5 ground-floor 2-light windows
set in 2-centred arches with foliate corbels and plate
tracery, separated by buttresses, and upper C19 paired lancets
with blind trefoils above; corbel table.
INTERIOR: restored C20 ground floor has 2 fireplaces with
wrought-iron fire baskets and C17 fire surrounds, and C13 rere
arches to 2 south-facing windows; restored C14 twelve-bay
arch-braced collar-beam roof with 2 tiers of pointed-arched
wind braces, and c1970 tie beams. Founded as a Dominican
Friary, bought by the Cutlers' Guild after the Reformation,
and used by the Quakers for a school from 1845 and restored by
them in 1869.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 26).

Listing NGR: ST5924973322

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.