History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 24, 26 and 28 Including Part of Number 22

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4554 / 51°27'19"N

Longitude: -2.6208 / 2°37'14"W

OS Eastings: 356964

OS Northings: 173121

OS Grid: ST569731

Mapcode National: GBR C2K.93

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JPC4

Entry Name: Numbers 24, 26 and 28 Including Part of Number 22

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202626

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380686

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5673SE THE MALL, Clifton
901-1/7/1063 (North East side)
08/01/59 Nos.24, 26 AND 28
including part of No.22
(Formerly Listed as:
THE MALL
(East side)
Nos.18, 20 AND 24-28 (Even))

GV II

Part of the assembly rooms, now pair of attached houses and
shops. 1806-9. By Francis Greenway. Interior by Joseph Kay.
Limestone ashlar, party wall stacks and a slate mansard roof.
Double-depth plan. Classical style.
3 storeys and attic; 7-window range. Late C19 shop fronts have
panelled jambs to decorative consoles and panelled facias.
1809 upper floors with 3:1:2:1 windows, the wider sections
broken forward, with a shallow bay to the left-hand one, a
thin cornice to the right and a deeper one to the bow. The
4-window right-hand section has windows with raised surrounds,
carved capitals, keys and sill blocks to plate-glass sashes
with margin panes, and a C20 mansard with 3 dormers; 6/6-pane
first-floor and 3/3-pane second-floor sashes to the left. Rear
late C19 bay windows have stained-glass leaded lights.
INTERIOR: extensively remodelled with removal of walls. Part
of the upstairs included with No.22, The Clifton Club (qv).
Originally the left-hand wing of the Assembly Rooms,
consisting of a pair of houses with rusticated basements as
No.22 (qv), and doorways in the recessed sections.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 218; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 130).


Listing NGR: ST5696473121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.