This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4553 / 51°27'19"N
Longitude: -2.6206 / 2°37'14"W
OS Eastings: 356974
OS Northings: 173110
OS Grid: ST569731
Mapcode National: GBR C2K.B4
Mapcode Global: VH88M.JPF6
Entry Name: The Clifton Club
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380685
Location: Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5673SE THE MALL, Clifton
901-1/7/1062 (North East side)
The Clifton Club
Formerly known as: No.22 The Assembly Rooms and Clifton Hotel
Formerly assembly rooms and hotel, now club. 1806-9. By
Francis Greenway. Interior by Joseph Kay. Altered 1894 by EH
Edwards. Limestone ashlar, roof not visible. Double-depth
plan. Classical style.
2 storeys and basement; 5-window range. A fine symmetrical
composition returns at each end, with a raised, rusticated
basement to a band, engaged colonnade of 6 giant Ionic columns
to an architrave, attic storey and large pediment containing a
shield. Semicircular-arched basement windows and central
doorway have coved reveals and wrought-iron grilles. Upper
windows between the columns, with late C19 ornament to first
floor, pediments with foliate consoles to outer and central
ones, and canted bays with Ionic pilaster jambs and
entablature to the second and fourth windows, all with horned
plate-glass sashes, 6/6-pane above and 3/6 panes to the attic.
1 window in the returns.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with flanking arcades of semicircular
arches on thin columns with foliate capitals and moulded keys;
principal first-floor rooms include the dining room to the
front with marble fire surrounds to each end, reading room
with attached columns, with Temple of the Winds capitals,
painted with pink marble, with late C19 fire surrounds to each
end; rear card and billiard rooms with 1889 fire surrounds.
Rear rooms extend into Nos 18-28 (qv) on either side.
Originally a 17-window terrace including Nos 18, 20 & 24-28,
forming symmetrical wings, and creating a fine culmination to
the terraces below The Mall. The hotel was closed in 1855 and
converted into a club, and the flanking buildings into shops.
A good facade forming an important termination to Clifton's
only formal square.
(Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 130;
Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 218).
Listing NGR: ST5697473110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings