This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4515 / 51°27'5"N
Longitude: -2.593 / 2°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 358887
OS Northings: 172672
OS Grid: ST588726
Mapcode National: GBR C8L.HH
Mapcode Global: VH88N.0SJ3
Entry Name: The Granary and Attached Area Walls
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380814
Location: Bristol, BS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NE WELSH BACK
901-1/16/341 (West side)
The Granary and attached area walls
Includes: No.51 QUEEN CHARLOTTE STREET.
Granary, now offices. Dated 1869. By Ponton and Gough. Red
Cattybrook brick with black and white brick and limestone
dressings, brick lateral stacks and a slate hipped roof.
Rectangular plan. 'Bristol Byzantine' style, Ruskinian
Venetian Gothic with structural polychromy. 7 storeys and 3
attic storeys; 11-window range.
A steep, symmetrical block with a battered plinth of
engineering bricks to the ground-floor arcade of 2-centred
arches, strings to the first, 2nd, 4th and 5th floors, a
Lombard frieze and machicolated cornice under a crenellated
parapet with forked merlons; deeply-set unglazed upper windows
are 3:5:3 placed well in from the corners, with rounded-brick
surrounds and striped arches, and ashlar impost bands. The
ground-floor arcade has a black and white brick ogee hood and
oculi set in between; doorways at either end have semicircular
openings with ogee hoods in recessed panels, and at the
corners are paired granite half-columns with ashlar bases and
foliate caps; C20 doors and sashes.
The first-floor has semicircular-arched openings, blocked
below the spring by square panels, 3 of them carrying carved
shields; 2-storey arched recesses to the 2nd and 3rd floors
have patterned openwork panels; 4th floor elliptical-arched
openings with pierced panels; top floors set in shallow
recesses, with shouldered flat arches to the 5th floor, and
arcaded semicircular arches on the 6th floor on paired ashlar
shafts with deep capitals.
The end returns have matching openings in 5-window ranges.
Chimneys to the front and left return have tumbled-in sides;
the steep roof has narrow gables to the right end and a short
rear left-hand cross wing, hipped dormers behind the parapet
and in the hip, and decorative ridge tiles.
INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached area
walls to Queen Charlotte Street elevation.
Considered the finest example of the C19 Bristol warehouse
style known as Bristol Byzantine, for its supposed links with
mercantile architecture of the E Mediterranean. Functional
details such as the hoist arrangements and ventilation are
imaginatively developed into the decorative scheme for the
(Lord J and Southam J: The Floating Harbour: Bristol: 1983-:
94; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 375).
Listing NGR: ST5888372673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings