This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.368 / 52°22'4"N
Longitude: -2.7194 / 2°43'9"W
OS Eastings: 351111
OS Northings: 274677
OS Grid: SO511746
Mapcode National: GBR BK.RZ26
Mapcode Global: VH843.TR62
Plus Code: 9C4V979J+56
Entry Name: Hosyers Almshouses
Listing Date: 15 April 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202796
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389853
Location: Ludlow, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Ludlow
Built-Up Area: Ludlow
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ludlow St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO5174 COLLEGE STREET
825-1/1/228 Hosyers Almshouses
Almshouses. Dated 1758. By TF Pritchard. Brick; slate roof;
brick ridge stacks. Central range with projecting wings.
3-storeys; 6-window range: wood mullion and transom casements,
under gauged brick flat arches with stucco keyblocks; 2-light
casements over; moulded stone eaves and pediment, over central
protruding bay, with armorial cartouche. Central 6
fielded-panel door, in moulded architrave under moulded flat
hood on consoles. Concave niche over, with shouldered
architrave and keyblock; tablet over, flanked by wood mullion
and transom windows.
Wings similar, with 6 fielded-panel doors and overlights,
under gauged brick flat arches with stucco keyblocks.
Rainwater heads dated 1851. Gables of wings similar, with
blocked 1st floor openings to left.
Church Street front: similar fenestration, under segmental
arches; 2 leaf 6-panel door in brick doorcase with gauged
brick flat arch and stone cornice over. Plank door to left,
with light, in moulded case, under brick segmental arch.
Rear, where visible, of rubble with fenestration under brick
segmental arches. First floor passage from Hosyers Almshouses
to Buttercross has C20 restored 10/6 sash under semi-circular
gauged brick arch with stucco keyblock; stone coped parapet
over; segmental arch with moulded stone springers over Church
Mural tablet records foundation 1486 by John Hosyer, Merchant,
and complete rebuilding 1758.
Listing NGR: SO5110874682
Other nearby listed buildings