History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newlands Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton Poppleford, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.6985 / 50°41'54"N

Longitude: -3.3102 / 3°18'36"W

OS Eastings: 307564

OS Northings: 89584

OS Grid: SY075895

Mapcode National: GBR P6.KRMS

Mapcode Global: FRA 37Y7.B7J

Plus Code: 9C2RMMXQ+CW

Entry Name: Newlands Cottage

Listing Date: 26 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203499

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352374

Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX10

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford

Built-Up Area: Newton Poppleford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Newton Poppleford St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Newton Poppleford


HARPFORD Newton Poppleford
5/52 Newlands Cottage


Cottage. Mid C17, circa 1930 extension and thoroughly modernised circa 1960. Main
block is plastered cob on stone rubble footings; stone rubble stack with plastered
C20 brick top; thatch roof; circa 1930 extension is plastered brick with thatch
The original house fronting onto the road to the south-west had a 2-room plan but
now the 2 rooms have been knocked together. It has a projecting left (north-west)
end stack. The circa 1930 2-room extension was built at right angles adjoining the
rear right corner of the main block, and a connecting corridor built along the back
of the main block. Rear block has lateral stack on inner side. Both blocks are 2
Regular, nearly symmetrical, 3-window front of C19 and C20 casements with glazing
bars. The central ground floor window is blocking the original front door. The
first floor windows have thatch eyebrows over. Roof is hipped to right and gable-
ended to left. The left end stack has weathered offsets and the oven projection has
been removed to create a small window framed by the former oven doorway. The C20
block is gable-ended and the main door is now in the front gable end protected by a
porch in the angle of the 2 wings with a lean-to thatch roof on a rustic post.
Interior of main block much rearranged in C20. The internal partitions have been
removed. There are no main beams and the first floor may always have been carried
on joists only although most have been replaced. The fireplace is C17; it has
brick sides and its oak lintel is soffit-chamfered with a scroll stop on 1 side
only. Roof is not accessible but the feet of the principals show suggesting that
the original C17 roof structure survives.
According to the owners the deeds survive back to 1650 which could well be the date
of erection of the present main block.

Listing NGR: SY0756489584

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.