History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos. 1-5 Frances Darlington Court with Chapel and Wash House

A Grade II Listed Building in Charnock Richard, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6358 / 53°38'9"N

Longitude: -2.6736 / 2°40'24"W

OS Eastings: 355557

OS Northings: 415690

OS Grid: SD555156

Mapcode National: GBR 9VRD.ZD

Mapcode Global: WH866.XW12

Entry Name: Nos. 1-5 Frances Darlington Court with Chapel and Wash House

Listing Date: 26 November 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357534

Location: Charnock Richard, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Charnock Richard

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Charnock Richard Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chorley

Listing Text

SD 51 NE
5/19

CHARNOCK RICHARD,
CHURCH LANE,
Frances Darlington Court,
Nos. 1-5 with chapel and wash house

(Formerly listed as Nos. 119 to 127 (odd nos.) with chapel and washhouse (The Frances Darlington Trust))

26.11.1975

GV II


Almshouses, dated 1898, comprising 3 blocks of building and linking screen
walls: a row of 4 almshouses under one roof, a matron's house incorporating
a chapel, and between these a block of washhouses. All of coursed squared
sandstone, in Gothic style, with steeply-pitched and hipped roofs of
hexagonal slates (fleur-de-lys finials to gable copings) and octagonal
chimneys with moulded caps. All of one storey. The row of almshouses is
symmetrical, has a tall gable in the centre (with a decorated tablet), 4
low gabled porches (one at each end and 2 flanking the centre), and 6 stone
mullioned windows. At the left end is a screen wall with a gabled arched
doorway flanked by arched window openings, which links with a matching but
simpler block of 4 washhouses, which is similarly linked to the matron's
house. This incorporates as a crosswing at its left end a chapel with a
tall gable terminating in a bellcote (with bell); there is one rectangular
window with 3 cusped lights and a hoodmould in each gable of the chapel,
above these a stone tablet lettered "THE FRANCES DARLINGTON CHARITY".
Interior of chapel: glazed tiled walls, stained glass windows, and marble
memorial tablet to Frances Darlington (d. 1897) which states, inter alia,
that she laid the foundation stone of the church (Christ Church, q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD5555715690

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.