History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Farmhouse and Ruins of Melbourne Castle and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8232 / 52°49'23"N

Longitude: -1.4247 / 1°25'28"W

OS Eastings: 438865

OS Northings: 325230

OS Grid: SK388252

Mapcode National: GBR 6G3.SSG

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.29VH

Entry Name: Castle Farmhouse and Ruins of Melbourne Castle and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 10 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204011

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83039

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Built-Up Area: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 38/3925 PARISH OF MELBOURNE CASTLE STREET
6/54 (East Side)
10.11.67 Castle Farmhouse and
Ruins of Melbourne
Castle and Outbuildings
GV II
Farmhouse and attached castle walls with outbuildings. c1311,
with C15 and C16 additions, and early C18 with C19 and C20
alterations and additions. Farmhouse is of red brick, on stone
plinth, with flush stone quoins and plain tile roof with brick
coped gables and central brick ridge stack. Castle walls are of
ashlar and rubble stone. Farmhouse is two storeys plus attics
and has three bays, plus single storey wing to east. Main
elevation to east has ground floor covered by a glazed lean-to
with a brick porch to south end. Behind this there is a flat
headed 2-light casement window to north, a wide central segment
headed 3-light window, and a C19 four-centred arched doorcase
between, with studded C20 door. Beyond to south the single
storey wing has two C20 3-light windows. Above there are two
tall flat headed 2-light windows with a small blocked opening
between. Above again in the attics there are five gabled roof
dormers. North gable wall has segment headed 3-light windows to
ground and first floors, plus a tall similar 2-light window
above. East elevation has a similar mixture of segment headed
and flat headed windows. All windows have C20 leaded casements.
Attached to east of the farmhouse is the tall rubble castle
wall, standing approximately 20 feet high and continuing about
20 yards to the east. North side has various later brick
outbuildings attached to it and south side has been excavated to
the east end to reveal the moulded ashlar plinths to two
polygonal towers. Interior of the farmhouse has three large
raised oak cruck trusses in the attic and the remains of an oak
newel staircase. There are large chamfered beams to ground and
first floors, probably re-used from the castle, and there are
various re-used C17 and C18 doors, from other houses. The
castle was built about 1311 when a licence to crenellate was
given by the Duke of Lancaster to Robert Holland. Extensive
repairs were carried out between 1483-5. It was sold in 1604,
by the Crown who were then the owners to the Earl of Huntingdon,
who demolished it in 1637. Sources - see HMSO 'The flings Works'
Vol II, Pg 738.


Listing NGR: SK3886525230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.