History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Springfield Mill Factory and Chimney

A Grade II Listed Building in Sandiacre, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9244 / 52°55'27"N

Longitude: -1.287 / 1°17'13"W

OS Eastings: 448027

OS Northings: 336566

OS Grid: SK480365

Mapcode National: GBR 7GF.RDH

Mapcode Global: WHDGX.6RCG

Entry Name: Springfield Mill Factory and Chimney

Listing Date: 2 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82289

Location: Sandiacre, Erewash, Derbyshire, NG10

County: Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Sandiacre

Built-Up Area: Sandiacre

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Sandiacre St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Sandiacre

Listing Text

PARISH OF SANDIACRE BRIDGE STREET
SK 43 NE
2/103 (West Side)
Springfield Mill
Factory and Chimney
GV II

Lace factory and attached chimney. 1888 with minor later
alterations. Built for Terah Hooley, a wealthy local
industrialist, by architect John Sheldon of Long Eaton. Red and
yellow brick with red, yellow and blue brick and stone
dressings. Hipped slate roofs, partly replaced in corrugated
asbestos with red and yellow corbelled and dentilled eaves
cornice. Four storeys and 41 bays, with five central bays
pedimented and built of contrasting yellow brick instead of the
red brick used elsewhere. All bays have full height stepped
pilaster buttresses between with shaped iron tie heads on each
to each floor, which are inscribed 'TH'. The two buttresses to
either side of the five central bays have stone capitals.
Ground floor windows have segment heads with three courses of
yellow brick below one course of blue brick, rounded jambs and
small pane iron windows with small opening casements. Five
central bays have red brick heads instead of yellow but are
otherwise the same except the central bay, which is narrower
than the others. Some windows have been replaced by C20 doors.
First and second floors have similar windows but top floor has
flat headed iron windows with moulded stone lintels. The five
central top floor windows are now blocked in with brick. Above
these is a large shaped gable with moulded stone copings, ridge
and eaves ball finials and a central crowstepped panel of red
brick. Within this is a large clockface set in stone surround
with ogee headed cable moulding to edge, set on bracketed stone
plinth inscribed 'A 1888 D'. Rear elevation is similar except
central bays are built of red brick and there are four full
height staircase towers with rounded ends, small segment headed
windows following the line of the steps up and large segment
headed hoist doorcases to sides. Central gable has a yellow
brick crowstepped panel with central clockface. Attached to
centre of building is a lower wing which in turn attaches to the
engine house which has semi-circular headed windows with
circular one in the gable over, and a louvred ridge vent. From
this runs a large pipe which connects to a very tall brick
chimney. This has a deep square brick base with a large moulded
stone plinth, over which is the tall tapering octagonal stack
with moulded band near the top and a richly corbelled crown.
Interior of factory has wooden floors on cast iron columns.
Engine with rope drive to all floors removed c1940. Total
capacity of the factory was originally 160 machines.


Listing NGR: SK4802736566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.