History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Martin, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1252 / 53°7'30"N

Longitude: -0.3259 / 0°19'33"W

OS Eastings: 512121

OS Northings: 359978

OS Grid: TF121599

Mapcode National: GBR GQP.2FL

Mapcode Global: WHGJN.YQZ0

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205493

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358292

Location: Martin, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Martin

Built-Up Area: Martin

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Martin Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Martin

Listing Text

MARTIN MAIN STREET
TF 15 NW (north side)

6/21
Holy Trinity Church
1.2.67
- II

Parish Church. 1876, tower built 1911, by T H Wyatt. Rock faced limestone with
ashlar dressings. C20 tile roofs with ashlar coped gables, moulded kneelers and
finials. Flush ashlar quoins, chamfered plinth and chamfered cill band. Angle
buttresses with set-offs. South west tower, nave, transepts and chancel, with north
organ chamber and south vestry. West front has 2 pairs of tall lancets, with a
wheel window above, and a small lancet in the gable. The north front has a single
lancet, then 2 pairs of lancets. The north transept has 2 single lancets, with
a single central lancet above, and a small quatrefoil in the gable. The organ
chamber has a tall ornate chimney stack. The octagonal, apsidal east end has single
small outer lancets, and pairs of inner lancets. The vestry has a single 2-light
mullion window and a Caernarvon arched priest door. The south transept has 2 single
lancets, with a single central lancet above, and a small quatrefoil in the gable.
The south aisle has 2 pairs of lancets, and the western bay contains the projecting
3 stage tower, incorporating a porch. The tower has a moulded and double chamfered
plinth, chamfered stage bands, angle buttresses with set-offs, and is topped with
gargoyles, stepped battlements and a pyramidal slate roof with an ornate weather
vane. The south face has a pointed arched doorway, with inner chamfered arch and
moulded outer arch supported on block shafts, with moulded bases and foliate
capitals, with C19 double doors. Above a 2-light pointed arched window with Y-
tracery. Above again a pair of bell openings with cusped pointed lights, repeated
on all 4 sides. The east face has a single small lancet on the ground floor, and
the west face has a projecting octagonal stair turret in the re-entrant angle with
2 small slit windows and a stone cap. All the windows have chamfered ashlar
surrounds. The inner porch doorway, is pointed arched with a roll moulded inner
arch and a double chamfered outer arch, and double plank doors. Interior: double
chamfered transept arches, and chamfered chancel arch. Wooden scissor braced roof.
Wooden pews, pulpit and choir stalls, fine stone font. Cusped piscina. 3 small
stain glass windows.


Listing NGR: TF1212159978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.