This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.125 / 53°7'29"N
Longitude: -0.326 / 0°19'33"W
OS Eastings: 512112
OS Northings: 359952
OS Grid: TF121599
Mapcode National: GBR GQP.2DK
Mapcode Global: WHGJN.YQX6
Entry Name: Martin War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1439202
Location: Martin, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Martin
Built-Up Area: Martin
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Martin Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
First World War memorial, by Tuttell and Sons of Lincoln, unveiled 9 April 1921, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Ancaster limestone.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity. It consists of a medieval cross on an octagonal shaft with a carved decorative collar and base. The shaft rises from an octagonal plinth and a three-stepped square base.
The plinth is inscribed on three sides with lead lettering and a low relief shield carved at each corner. The four shields have individual low relief texts on them, namely PRO PATRIA, PRO REGE, PRO DEO and PRO RECTO.
The First World War inscription reads: TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF MARTIN/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
A later dedication to the fallen of the Second World War reads: WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Martin as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The masons were Messrs M Tuttell and Sons of Lincoln and the total cost was £160. The unveiling ceremony took place on Saturday 9 April 1921, commencing with a service in the church conducted by the vicar, the Revd Howard Charles Gibbons Robertson. The unveiling was carried out by Capt Reginald Herbert Spooner (1880-1961) of the Manor House, Metheringham who was acting as a representative for Lord Londesborough of nearby Blankney Hall.
Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that war were also added.
In 2006 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Martin War Memorial by M Tuttell and Sons of Lincoln is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an ornate and striking cross with carved decorative details;
* Group value: with the Holy Trinity Church (Grade II).
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings