History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Soli House (Catholic Youth Hostel)

A Grade II Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1854 / 52°11'7"N

Longitude: -1.7085 / 1°42'30"W

OS Eastings: 420027

OS Northings: 254169

OS Grid: SP200541

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.T29

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.BBNH

Entry Name: Soli House (Catholic Youth Hostel)

Listing Date: 9 February 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1205897

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366314

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Shottery

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054 MILL LANE
604-1/6/140 (West side)
09/02/72 Soli House (Catholic Youth Hostel)

II

Formerly known as: Avonfield MILL LANE.
Town house, now youth hostel. 1809-10, with later wing to rear
and C20 wing to left. For William Oldaker. Double-depth plan,
front to left. Georgian style. Brick with ashlar dressings;
parapeted roof, partly tile, with 2 large brick stacks.
3 storeys; symmetrical 3-bay range. Ashlar plinth, 2 platt
bands and plain stone-coped parapet; bays articulated by
pilaster strips. Entrance has C20 glazed doors. Windows have
sills, and rubbed brick flat arches over 16-pane sashes to
ground floor, 12-pane sashes to 1st floor, and one 6-pane sash
and 2 casements to 2nd floor. Large late C20 timber and glass
lean-to sun lounge. Right return has bow window with
modillioned brick cornice and hipped slate roof, 16-pane sash;
rear wing has segmental-headed sashed windows and C20 gabled
projection. Rear has 3-storey wings under hipped roofs
flanking hipped centre with later lean-to porch, and 2-storey,
3-window, C19 range to right. Porch has much glazing and
triangular dormer; inner entrance has reeded pilasters and
bracketed open pediment, fanlight over 6-panel door, part
glazed; round-headed stair window above has small-paned
glazing. 2-storey range has segmental-headed windows with
casements and one horizontally sliding sash; other windows
sashed.
INTERIOR: cornices, one room with dentilled cornice and C19
marble fireplace with round-headed iron grate, another room
with mirror over fireplace; C20 staircase. Said to have been
built using some stone from the demolished charnel house
attached to the Church of Holy Trinity (qv). At one time
called Avonfield.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 46).


Listing NGR: SP2002754169

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.