History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wave Basin Battery Adjacent to Old South Pier

A Grade II Listed Building in Hendon, Sunderland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9165 / 54°54'59"N

Longitude: -1.3632 / 1°21'47"W

OS Eastings: 440920

OS Northings: 558159

OS Grid: NZ409581

Mapcode National: GBR VGH.0K

Mapcode Global: WHD56.1P4B

Entry Name: Wave Basin Battery Adjacent to Old South Pier

Listing Date: 26 November 1990

Last Amended: 17 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391604

Location: Sunderland, SR6

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Hendon

Built-Up Area: Sunderland

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Hendon

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text


SUNDERLAND

NZ4058 SUNDERLAND HARBOUR
920-1/9/215 (South side)
26/11/90 Wave Basin Battery adjacent to old
South Pier
(Formerly Listed as:
SOUTH PIER
Wave Basin Battery)

GV II

Battery. c1873. For the War Office on site given in 1860 by
River Wear Commission. Ashlar. A mole projecting into the
river inside the harbour, on the E side of the Wave Basin and
immediately SW of old South Pier, with 4 gun emplacements.
No.1 gun emplacement at the N, rounded end of the mole has had
concrete filling added. The second and third emplacements have
splayed openings to seaward in the battery wall, which is
protected from the water by the breakwater of the mole. Nos 1
and 4 gun emplacements had an ashlar circle and a central
ashlar block in which the central pivot was set; at least one
pivot survives; these guns fired over over the parapet. Nos 2
and 3 had front pivot traversing carriages of either wood or
wrought-iron. The original artillery consisted of four 80
pounder rifle muzzle loading guns. This is the one surviving
example of an RML battery between the Humber and the Tweed. It
is an important illustration of the transition from cannon to
modern artillery, and also illustrates the methods used to
defend mercantile ports in the years after the Crimean War and
the production of iron-clad warships. It is shown on an 1875
official plan of Hudson Docks, reproduced in Sinclair 1986.
(Fortress Study Group: Conference notes: Tyneside: 1988-;
Sinclair NT: Railways of Sunderland: Newcastle upon Tyne:
1986-: 60).


Listing NGR: NZ4092058159

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.