This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1302 / 53°7'48"N
Longitude: -1.1793 / 1°10'45"W
OS Eastings: 455012
OS Northings: 359540
OS Grid: SK550595
Mapcode National: GBR 8FD.NPV
Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.VLM5
Entry Name: Berry Hill Hall
Listing Date: 17 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207154
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391662
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18
Electoral Ward/Division: Berry Hill
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK55NW BERRY HILL LANE
924-1/3/7 (South side)
17/03/78 Berry Hill Hall
Country house. Early C18, with large scale additions for
William Bilbie c1770, and further additions C19 and mid C20.
North wing, probably early C18, enlarged c1770, with early and
late C19 additions. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with
ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs with 4 coped stone
EXTERIOR: ground-floor sill band, dentillated eaves.
East front, 3 storeys plus attics; 6-window range, with single
bay addition to right and 2-storey service wing beyond. To
left, C19 addition, 2 storeys; 3-window range. Central block
has 6 boarded sashes and above, 6 smaller plain sashes, all
with projecting surrounds. Above again, 2 late C19 hipped
dormers. Below, to left, 4 boarded sashes with projecting
surrounds and to right, a canted hipped bay window with 3
boarded sashes. Additional bay, to right, has a tall boarded
sash and above, 2 smaller windows, one a sash, the other a
casement. Below, a boarded tripartite sash.
Service wing has 2 large boarded sashes to left, and a smaller
boarded window to right. C19 addition to left has a canted bay
window to the first floor, with 3 boarded sashes. Below,
projecting flat-roofed single storey with a tripartite boarded
window on each side, flanked by boarded single sashes. To
left, 2 sashes on each floor, the upper ones fake, the lower
Rear, to west, has a 3-storey block, 4 windows, with boarded
first-floor windows and smaller plain sashes above. To west,
another service block, 2 storeys, with 7-window south front of
boarded sashes with stone surrounds. Linked to the 3-storey
block by a pyramid-roofed bridge on the first floor, with a
South wing, early C19 with late C19 additions, 2 storeys;
7-window range of tall sashes, all boarded. Projecting ground
floor topped with a balustrade. Projecting central bay with
boarded double doors and overlight, flanked by pilaster
buttresses and topped with a pediment. On either side, 3
sashes. Ground floor has projecting central bay with boarded
double doors and overlight, flanked by pilaster buttresses. To
left, 3 sashes and a pilaster buttress. To right, 2 sashes,
then a projecting square bay with a single sash flanked by
West side, 5 windows, has 4 boarded sashes to left and a blank
to right. Below, to right, a square bay with boarded double
doors flanked by pilaster buttresses and topped with a
balustrade. To left, central boarded double doors flanked by
single boarded sashes.
INTERIOR contains a fine cantilevered single flight and return
staircase with ornate iron balustrade, mahogany handrail and
ramped dado with fielded panels, lit by an oval skylight. Most
reception rooms have dado panelling and fine wooden doorcases
and doors. One has a fine Adam-style plaster ceiling.
Used until c1990 as a miners' rehabilitation centre.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 174).
Listing NGR: SK5501259540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings