This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1441 / 53°8'38"N
Longitude: -1.1916 / 1°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 454169
OS Northings: 361075
OS Grid: SK541610
Mapcode National: GBR 8F5.ZGV
Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.N7SJ
Plus Code: 9C5W4RV5+J9
Entry Name: Bridge Street Methodist Church
Listing Date: 21 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391670
Location: Portland, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18
Electoral Ward/Division: Portland
Built-Up Area: Mansfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
Bridge Street Methodist Church
Methodist church. 1864. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings
and hipped slate roof. Italianate style. Plinth and eaves
2 storeys; 3 x 6 windows. 3-bay west front has first-floor
band and moulded cornice, with pierced balustrade and corner
pedestals topped with urns. Recessed central bay has a portico
in antis with 2 columns and pilasters with Corinthian
capitals. On either side, a segment-headed double door. Above,
a round-arched triple window with polychrome head, hoodmould
and central keystone. Cornice dated 1864 in Roman numerals.
Side bays have rusticated pilasters with scroll brackets to
the cornice. Single round-arched windows with polychrome
heads, keystones and hoodmoulds, and below, triangular-headed
windows with hoodmoulds.
Each return has a similar single window on each floor. On
either side, 6 round-headed windows with keystones and below,
6 triangular-headed windows.
East end has a central projection with lean-to roof and a
central gable containing a round window. On either side, a
single round-headed window.
INTERIOR has moulded cornice and cross beam ceiling with oval
ventilators. Panelled gallery, curved at the rear, with
fleurons and dentillated top edge, carried on twisted
cast-iron columns with composite capitals. At each end 2
doors, those to rear with cornices. At the front, enriched
panelled choir gallery on cast-iron brackets. Above, panelled
elliptical arch with enriched spandrels and panelled pilasters
with composite capitals, framing central round window flanked
by single round-headed windows.
At the rear, central stained-glass window and above, triple
round-headed window flanked by similar single windows. Ground
floor has stained-glass windows, late C19 and early C20.
Gallery side windows have stained-glass memorial panels.
Entrance lobbies have wooden dogleg stairs with stick
balusters and ramped handrails, and double doors to gallery.
FITTINGS: circular rostrum with ornate cast-iron railing.
Square wooden pulpit on tapered wooden base flanked by square
pedestals with Ionic corner columns and ornate cast-iron
railing. On the front of each pedestal, a bronze war memorial
plaque under a wooden pediment. Matching communion table. Box
MEMORIALS include a resited marble tablet, 1818, and 6 small
brasses and tablets.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 170).
Listing NGR: SK5416961075
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings