This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7434 / 53°44'36"N
Longitude: -0.3443 / 0°20'39"W
OS Eastings: 509293
OS Northings: 428720
OS Grid: TA092287
Mapcode National: GBR GLP.WH
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.P58K
Entry Name: Regent House
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387431
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
ANLABY ROAD (North side)
26 AND 28
Offices and shops. 1902 by John M Dossor of Hull, with interior remodelled in 1935 by WR Blanchard (when 183-175 Ferensway was rebuilt) and with other later minor C20 alterations. Brick, partly rendered, with ashlar dressings and slate roof. All windows at first floor and above are leaded casements or fixed lights. Ground floor shop fronts are later C20 alterations partially concealing a moulded cornice.
EXTERIOR: Designed to appear as three separate properties in origin but with architectural details carried throughout to unite the design:
The corner property (28 Anlaby Road/185 Ferensway) is in brick and features a corner entrance with a polygonal tower rising to 3 storeys, flanked by single 2 storey bays facing Ferensway to the left and Anlaby Road to the right. The tower has an octagonal slate roof topped with an ornamental weathervane; 3 wooden cross casements flanked by wooden Ionic columns to the second floor; three 2 light windows separated by similar ionic columns to the first floor with a deep, dentilated cornice above carried by two shaped brackets, this cornice supporting a slated canopy that extends from the sills of the windows above. In a similar manner there is a larger slated canopy that extends from the sills of the first floor windows to protect the entrance below; the canopy is supported by an ornamented bracket. The tower is flanked at first floor by octagonal brick pillars that extend through the cornice to form the end piers of ramped parapets above the 2 storey flanking bays. The pillars are topped by small stone griffins and behind the parapets there is a mansard roof with a single roof dormer with a flat lead roof. Below the parapets there is a moulded cornice with shallow corbels and each bay has a single, first floor casement window.
The property on Ferensway to the left, is, and always has been, part of the corner property, but in architectural terms it is expressed separately externally as a rendered 3 storey building with the gable end facing the road. The first floor has a 4 light shallow canted oriel window with a dentilated cornice above which continues the line of the corbelled cornices of the flanking properties. This cornice is slightly deeper and includes two brackets to support the slightly jettied second floor. The second floor has a 3 light window with a moulded drip mould. Above is a broken pediment supported by corbels forming the gable.
Internally, the property facing Anlaby Road (No. 26) is currently and historically separate at ground floor level, but integrated into the rest of the building above. Again in architectural terms it is expressed separately externally as a rendered 3 storey building with the gable end facing the road. The first floor features continuous glazing with cross casements set back slightly from an arcade of 5 square section Tuscan columns linked by ramped balustrades with stick balusters. Shallow arches span between the columns, with a bracket above each column supporting a deep, moulded and dentilated cornice supporting the slightly jettied second floor. At second floor there are three 2 light windows under a continuous moulded drip mould. Above is a broken pediment supported by corbels forming the gable. To the right towards the rear, there is a 5 flue brick stack.
INTERIOR: Apart from isolated later C20 alterations, interior details throughout Regents House appear to be consistent and are considered to date to the 1935 refit and rebuild.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The external exuberance of the architectural design and detailing of the surviving portion of the 1902 Regents House, designed to appear as three separate properties, is clearly of special interest as a good example of Edwardian commercial building. Although 183-175 Ferensway is all part of Regents House at upper levels, this section was rebuilt in 1935 in a much simplified style that is not of special interest in the national context, although its design does not unduly detract from the earlier surviving part.
Listing NGR: TA0929128723
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings