This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4818 / 53°28'54"N
Longitude: -2.2336 / 2°14'1"W
OS Eastings: 384593
OS Northings: 398363
OS Grid: SJ845983
Mapcode National: GBR DMG.1W
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.NRL5
Plus Code: 9C5VFQJ8+PH
Entry Name: 29 and 31, Dale Street
Listing Date: 6 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388063
Location: Manchester, M1
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/02/2019
DALE STREET (North East side)
Nos.29 and 31
Home trade warehouse, workshops and offices by W and G Higginbottom; now fashion wholesalers' premises. 1909. Iron frame with cladding of bright red brick in English garden wall bond with limestone dressings, and slate roof. Rectangular plan with loading at rear. Simple eclectic style. Basement and four storeys with two-storey attic.
The symmetrical seven-bay facade is divided vertically by piers treated as pilasters (continued at attic level), and horizontally by moulded stone cornices over the ground and third floors and by treatment of the first attic storey as a high parapet. The ground floor has wide segmental-headed windows with banded surrounds and triple keystones (but the sixth bay altered as doorway to No.31, and a plain fascia board over this continued to the right), and a central entrance in a round-headed two-storey arch which has a round-headed doorway at ground floor, a transomed semicircular window at first floor and an open pediment. The upper floors have three-light windows, those in the end and centre bays canted, and all sashed except those at third floor of the intermediate bays which have elliptical-arched heads (with bands and keystones) and transomed glazing. Each bay of the parapet has three small sashed attic windows set in round-headed arches with shell tympani, and a ramped coping; and the attic above has three-light sashes in flat-roofed dormers projected from a mansard roof, except in the centre which has a pilastered gable with a Venetian-style window. All windows have glazing bars in the upper leaves. The five-bay side walls are in similar but simpler style, and have opposed entrances to the rear loading area.
Interior not inspected.
HISTORY: was occupied in 1905 by umbrella manufacturers and the Belgian and Congo Free States Consulate. Included for group value.
The architects are Walter Higginbottom (1850-1924) and George Harry Higginbottom (1852 - ). These are not to be confused with William Herbert Higginbottom (1868–1929), who was born in Leeds but moved to and practised in Arnold, Nottingham.
Listing NGR: SJ8459398363
Other nearby listed buildings