History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3436 / 52°20'36"N

Longitude: -2.2736 / 2°16'24"W

OS Eastings: 381457

OS Northings: 271758

OS Grid: SO814717

Mapcode National: GBR 0C0.208

Mapcode Global: VH920.JCW7

Plus Code: 9C4V8PVG+CH

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 9 November 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209941

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393318

Location: Stourport-on-Severn, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY13

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Stourport-on-Severn

Built-Up Area: Stourport-on-Severn

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Stourport-on-Severn and Wilden

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourport

Description


STOURPORT ON SEVERN

SO8171NW CHURCH AVENUE
589-1/5/11 (North side)
09/11/71 Church of St Michael

GV II

Remains of church, begun in 1881 but unfinished when
consecrated in 1910. Never subsequently completed, and
partially demolished in 1980. By George Gilbert Scott,
continued after his death by his son, John Oldrid Scott.
Sandstone facing over brick core. What survives is the
footings for the west wall, and substantial parts of the north
and south walls, including the south porch. This is steeply
gabled, with crocketted niches to either side and above the
cusped archway, with decorated spandrels in the angles. Coped
gables capped by cross as finial. Vaulted ceiling, and
Decorated inner arch with clustered shafts. Original door with
ironwork. 2 windows with Decorated style tracery survive to
either side of this, and the lower embrasures for 2 others to
the east. North door with original ironwork survives in
heavily buttressed north wall. Polygonal stair turrets to NE
and SE. Inside, the remains of shafts for aisle arcading, and
of an arch to the south chancel aisle. The church was the 3rd
to be built, replacing one of brick built in 1782, itself
apparently replacing a medieval building.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire).


Listing NGR: SO8145771758

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.