History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Knoll

A Grade II Listed Building in Marsh, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0457 / 54°2'44"N

Longitude: -2.8141 / 2°48'50"W

OS Eastings: 346789

OS Northings: 461386

OS Grid: SD467613

Mapcode National: GBR 8PSN.KH

Mapcode Global: WH846.RK4V

Entry Name: The Knoll

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214751

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383348

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Marsh

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD46SE WESTBOURNE ROAD
1685-1/1/315 (South side)
The Knoll

II

House, now resource centre for the mentally handicapped. 1879,
restored c1990. Designed by Hubert Austin for himself. Red
brick, with some tile-hanging and half-timbering. Plain tile
roof.
2 storeys plus attic. The garden front has a one-bay
cross-wing at the left, with ground-floor brickwork rebuilt in
the late C20. On the ground and first floors there are paired
glazing bar sashes, the one on the 1st floor under a segmental
head. The attic window has a similar head, but has timber
mullions and transoms and is set above a string course of
moulded brickwork, with the moulding continued around the
verges to form a pediment.
The main part of the facade has 2 bay windows which have
timber window frames and tilehanging between storeys. The
left-hand bay window is of 3 storeys and has straight sides
and timber mullioned and transomed windows with leaded
glazing. The central part of the ground-floor window is
treated as an Ipswich window with a semicircular arch rising
from the transom. The projecting gable has bargeboards. Above,
on the main roof ridge, is a viewing platform set diagonally
with a timber balustrade. The right-hand bay window is canted
and of 2 storeys which have glazing bar sashes. The roof is
hipped, with a deep moulded coving at the eaves and with a
small segmental-headed attic dormer.
To the left of the left-hand bay window is a narrow bay which
has a tall narrow window lighting the back stair at 1st and
2nd floor level. On the ground floor is a doorway with
segmental head, which has a small window to its left. There
are chimneys to the left of the viewing platform and
projecting from the right-hand gable.
The entrance front has 2 gabled projections. The cross-wing at
the right which includes a 1st floor oriel window with curved
sides, and above a 4-light casement. That to the left is a
3-storey porch which has a jettied half-timbered 3rd storey, a
timber bellcote on the ridge, and a chimney on the right-hand
return wall. The doorway has a moulded brick architrave and
cornice. Between these wings is a large stair window. Set back
to the left the main part of the building has a dated plaque,
reading AHF 1879, between single cross casements, with a large
canted dormer window above and a single sash below to the
left.
INTERIOR: the entrance hall is divided by an oak screen partly
formed by the balustrade of the lowest flight of the main
stair. The stair newels are carried upwards as turned posts
which support an oak cornice with pulvinated frieze. Between
the posts the architrave of the entablature is arched upwards
in a semicircle, a motif which is repeated across the
remainder of the hall, with pendant bosses instead of posts.
The stair itself has splat balusters. The house contains 9
fireplaces with Delftware tiles. The right-hand ground-floor
room (as viewed from the garden front) has a plasterwork
frieze. In the central room there is an oak overmantel in a
C17 style incorporating some C17 woodw


Listing NGR: SD4678961386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LANCASTER

SD46SE WESTBOURNE ROAD
1685-1/1/315 (South side)
The Knoll

II

House, now resource centre for the mentally handicapped. 1879,
restored c1990. Designed by Hubert Austin for himself. Red
brick, with some tile-hanging and half-timbering. Plain tile
roof.
2 storeys plus attic. The garden front has a one-bay
cross-wing at the left, with ground-floor brickwork rebuilt in
the late C20. On the ground and first floors there are paired
glazing bar sashes, the one on the 1st floor under a segmental
head. The attic window has a similar head, but has timber
mullions and transoms and is set above a string course of
moulded brickwork, with the moulding continued around the
verges to form a pediment.
The main part of the facade has 2 bay windows which have
timber window frames and tilehanging between storeys. The
left-hand bay window is of 3 storeys and has straight sides
and timber mullioned and transomed windows with leaded
glazing. The central part of the ground-floor window is
treated as an Ipswich window with a semicircular arch rising
from the transom. The projecting gable has bargeboards. Above,
on the main roof ridge, is a viewing platform set diagonally
with a timber balustrade. The right-hand bay window is canted
and of 2 storeys which have glazing bar sashes. The roof is
hipped, with a deep moulded coving at the eaves and with a
small segmental-headed attic dormer.
To the left of the left-hand bay window is a narrow bay which
has a tall narrow window lighting the back stair at 1st and
2nd floor level. On the ground floor is a doorway with
segmental head, which has a small window to its left. There
are chimneys to the left of the viewing platform and
projecting from the right-hand gable.
The entrance front has 2 gabled projections. The cross-wing at
the right which includes a 1st floor oriel window with curved
sides, and above a 4-light casement. That to the left is a
3-storey porch which has a jettied half-timbered 3rd storey, a
timber bellcote on the ridge, and a chimney on the right-hand
return wall. The doorway has a moulded brick architrave and
cornice. Between these wings is a large stair window. Set back
to the left the main part of the building has a dated plaque,
reading AHF 1879, between single cross casements, with a large
canted dormer window above and a single sash below to the
left.
INTERIOR: the entrance hall is divided by an oak screen partly
formed by the balustrade of the lowest flight of the main
stair. The stair newels are carried upwards as turned posts
which support an oak cornice with pulvinated frieze. Between
the posts the architrave of the entablature is arched upwards
in a semicircle, a motif which is repeated across the
remainder of the hall, with pendant bosses instead of posts.
The stair itself has splat balusters. The house contains 9
fireplaces with Delftware tiles. The right-hand ground-floor
room (as viewed from the garden front) has a plasterwork
frieze. In the central room there is an oak overmantel in a
C17 style incorporating some C17 woodw


Listing NGR: SD4678961386

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.