History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Droitwich, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2911 / 52°17'27"N

Longitude: -2.1047 / 2°6'16"W

OS Eastings: 392958

OS Northings: 265885

OS Grid: SO929658

Mapcode National: GBR 2GG.8QR

Mapcode Global: VH929.GPQ1

Plus Code: 9C4V7VRW+C4

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400133

Location: Dodderhill, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Dodderhill

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Stoke Prior, Wychbold and Upton Warren

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Droitwich

Listing Text

DODDERHILL CP CHURCH LANE (north side)
SO 96 NW
Wychbold
6/8 Church of St Mary de Wyche

- II

Parish church. 1888-9 by Lewis Shepherd of Worcester. Random rubble,
ashlar dressings, machine tile roof. Nave, chancel, north vestry, north
and south transepts, tower in angle between chancel and south transept.
Decorated style. Tower: four stages, stepped angle buttresses, crenellated
parapet with pinnacles to corners; ground stage: door to south wall with
moulded 2-centred head, engaged shafts to responds and label; second stage:
two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head; third stage: two louvred lancets
each with a trefoil head. South and north transepts: each with three trefoiled
lights under 2-centred head with label. Nave: four bays, three windows in
south wall of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head, door in west bay
with timber porch, 2-centred head to door; west window: five trefoiled
lights under 2-centred head with label; four windows in north wall.
Chancel: string course, stepped angle buttresses, two bays, western bay
occupied by vestry to north, tower to south, two trefoiled light window
to south; east window: three trefoiled lights under 2-centred head.
Interior: brick walls with ashlar dressings; 2-centred arches to chancel
and transepts; chancel: two-seat sedilia. The ecclesiastical parish of
Wychbold was formed from Dodderhill in 1888. (BoE p 377; VCH 3, p 68).


Listing NGR: SO9295865885

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.