History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hartlebury, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.325 / 52°19'29"N

Longitude: -2.1987 / 2°11'55"W

OS Eastings: 386552

OS Northings: 269673

OS Grid: SO865696

Mapcode National: GBR 1DM.8XM

Mapcode Global: VH921.TTZJ

Plus Code: 9C4V8RF2+XG

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 14 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400332

Location: Elmley Lovett, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Elmley Lovett

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Elmley Lovett

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Doverdale

Listing Text

ELMLEY LOVETT CP ELMLEY LOVETT
SO 86 NE
5/43
Church of St Michael
14.3.69
GV
II*

Parish church. C14 tower, remainder rebuilt 1839-1840 by John Mills.
Ashlar, tile roof. Chancel, nave, west tower. Tower: C14, three stages,
recessed octagonal spire, battlemented parapet with three corner pinnacles
(north-west pinnacle missing), diagonal buttresses to ground floor, roll
moulding to corner above, 1840 additions (single storey) on north and south
side of tower provide porches; tall window to second stage (belfry) with
semi-circular head; square headed window to first stage; in ground floor
west wall a restored window of three lights with trefoiled heads under
2-centred head. Nave: battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses, four
bays divided by stepped buttresses with large lancet windows, each with
label. Chancel: two bays to south wall, lancet to east bay, other blank;
east wall: three stepped lancets, roundel above inscribed "SUB CRUCE CANDIDA
1840". Interior: chancel arch 2-centred and chamfered; roof: nave: seven
bays, chancel two bays, collar trusses. Fittings: late C19 font, C17 altar
table, a hatchment and the Royal arms. The church stands in the middle of
a deserted medieval village. (VCH 3, p 110; BoE, p 144; H Colvin, 1978,
A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London).


Listing NGR: SO8655269673

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.