This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6852 / 52°41'6"N
Longitude: -1.8292 / 1°49'45"W
OS Eastings: 411641
OS Northings: 309737
OS Grid: SK116097
Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.LC9
Mapcode Global: WHCGN.WR3T
Entry Name: Cathedral Visitors' Study Centre and Attached Wall and Gate
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 17 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382781
Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Lichfield
Built-Up Area: Lichfield
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
SK1109NE THE CLOSE
1094-1/5/213 (South side)
05/02/52 Cathedral Visitors' Study Centre and
attached wall and gate
(Formerly Listed as:
The Diocesan Registry)
(Formerly Listed as:
Garden walls and gate piers of Nos
19, 19A and 19B)
Stable and coachhouse and attached wall, muniment room from
1799, study centre from 1986. Late C17 incorporating some
medieval masonry, c1800 additions to north and later
alterations. Ashlar with some brick; hipped tile roofs with
brick stacks. L-plan.
2 storeys; recessed 2-window range with long c1800 range to
right. Recessed range has tiled offset to ground floor and 2
windows to 1st floor with 2-light leaded casements; range to
right has entrance with re-set medieval gargoyle over and iron
gate, inner plank doors; 2 gabled dormers with 2-light leaded
casements and 5 slits over offset string course which merges
with gabled coping of attached wall. C19 star-shaped
cross-axial stacks with moulded caps.
Left return facing Minster Pool has 3 windows to each floor
with pegged cross casements, and 2-light casements to 1st
floor, all with leaded glazing; short length of medieval wall
extends along side of pool, with pointed entrance and base of
splayed window visible to north. Right return has re-set
gargoyle to angle and plain coachhouse door.
Rear has of brick with modillioned brick cornice; 2 entrances
with stop-chamfered lintels; varied fenestration including
single-chamfered-mullioned windows and gabled dormers; wing to
right end has some brick rebuilding and large C20 entrance,
and blocked round-headed light and cross-casement to left
return. Painted sign to front prohibits waggons, carts and
cattle from the close.
INTERIOR: some exposed chamfered beams and stop-chamfered
joists. Wall extends to curved angle, continuing west, of
brick with stone coping, to No.19 (qv); plain gate piers with
caps and paired plank gates.
Garden walls and gate piers of Nos 19, 19A & 19B were listed
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.65).
Listing NGR: SK1163109752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings