History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Torquay Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Wellswood, Torbay

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.4626 / 50°27'45"N

Longitude: -3.5185 / 3°31'6"W

OS Eastings: 292314

OS Northings: 63628

OS Grid: SX923636

Mapcode National: GBR QX.37M8

Mapcode Global: FRA 37JT.T89

Plus Code: 9C2RFF7J+2H

Entry Name: Torquay Museum

Listing Date: 10 January 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280070

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390482

Location: Wellswood, Torbay, TQ1

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St John

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in



885-1/18/24 (North West side)
10/01/75 Torquay Museum


Museum. 1874-76 to the designs of William Harvey, contractor
EP Bovey; Pengelly Memorial Hall and alterations of 1894;
gallery addition opened 1928, to the designs of HC Powell,
contractors EP Bovey (Ellis, p.13). Local grey limestone
rubble with a crazed dressed face with fine joints, Bathstone
dressings; shallow pitched hipped slate roof; stacks with
shouldered chamfered stone shafts. Ruskinian Venetian Gothic
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front. Deep eaves with
stone bracketed cornice; plinth of squared masonry brought to
course; projecting strings, Bathstone bands. Moulded 3-centred
doorway with stiff-leaf carved capitals to the imposts and
carved roundels in the spandrels. Fine pair of iron gates with
wrought-iron scrolls on either side of the verticals above the
dog rail; standards with finials in imitation of Anglo-Saxon
beast ornament. Tall ground-floor windows in stone architraves
glazed with paired sashes (C20 glazing with timber glazing
bars). First-floor windows also paired but divided by shafts,
with stiff-leaf capitals. The windows are set in tall arched
recesses, the tympana brick, 2 of them filled with fine
terracotta relief panels; one shows botany, another shows
natural history. The other 3 were never filled, due to lack of
funds. The left return is in a similar style with one
ground-floor and 2 first-floor windows.
INTERIOR: Stair has attractive cast-iron balustrades;
stairwell has good hammerbeam roof on carved corbels. The main
gallery also has an open roof: arched braces on carved corbels
support a tie beam with queen and princess posts with curved
braces between. Upper tier of roof concealed by C20 flat
HISTORY: The museum was designed to house the Torquay Natural
History Society, founded 1844, which researched Kent's Cavern
and played an important part in the social history of Torquay
in the second half of the nineteenth century.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:

Listing NGR: SX9231463628

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.