This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4585 / 51°27'30"N
Longitude: -2.6091 / 2°36'32"W
OS Eastings: 357779
OS Northings: 173459
OS Grid: ST577734
Mapcode National: GBR C4J.X0
Mapcode Global: VH88M.QLKR
Plus Code: 9C3VF95R+C9
Entry Name: Royal Colonial Institute
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1219998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380862
Location: Clifton Down, Bristol, BS8
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773SE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton
901-1/9/1110 (West side)
Royal Colonial Institute
(Formerly Listed as:
Office. Late C19, refaced 1921. Limestone ashlar, roof not
visible. Double-depth plan. Edwardian Baroque style.
3 storeys; 7-window range. An asymmetrical block has an angled
3-section front with a plinth, banded lower 2 floors, frieze,
modillion cornice and parapet. The left-hand section breaks
forward with a 2-storey tetrastyle-in-antis bow of fluted
Ionic columns to entablature blocks and modillion cornice,
with plain ground-floor and scrolled first-floor keys;
inscribed flanking second-floor panels to half Atlas figures
supporting globes inscribed AUSTRALIA and CANADA, 3 windows
between have eared and keyed architraves, and parapet with 3
blind balustrade sections.
The right-hand block breaks forward with single-storey
tripartite entrance flush with the road, a central doorway
with panelled jambs, entablature and parapet, and 2-leaf door,
plain right-hand opening and left-hand window with eared and
shouldered architrave. Upper windows set in 2-storey recess
with a square first-floor and semicircular-arched second-floor
stained-glass stair windows with blocked architrave; similar
panels as the left with globes inscribed INDIA to the left and
AFRICA to the right, beneath an open pediment with the Royal
Coat of Arms carved in the tympanum.
The middle section has plain tripartite windows to the lower
floors, and Venetian to the third floor with pilaster jambs,
cornice and sill blocks.
INTERIOR: a large full-height stair hall with open-well stair,
turned balusters and large square newels with ball finials,
vine-leaf cornices, and pedimented door surrounds.
Possibly built 1876 by McPherson. Occupies a very prominent
city centre site.
(Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or
Historic Interest: 74).
Listing NGR: ST5777973459
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings