History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal West of England Academy

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4582 / 51°27'29"N

Longitude: -2.6083 / 2°36'29"W

OS Eastings: 357834

OS Northings: 173418

OS Grid: ST578734

Mapcode National: GBR C5J.34

Mapcode Global: VH88M.QMZ1

Entry Name: Royal West of England Academy

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380286

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5773SE QUEEN'S ROAD, Clifton
901-1/9/957 (East side)
04/03/77 Royal West of England Academy

GV II*

Art gallery. 1857. Interiors by C Underwood. Facade by JR
Hirst. Altered 1912 by SS Reay and H Dare Bryan. Limestone
ashlar with lateral stacks, roof not visble. Double-depth
plan. Italianate style. 2 storeys and attic; 6-window range.
3 stepped tiers, the C19 ground-floor set forward. Banded
rustication to the ground floor to a cornice, parapet with
balustraded sections over the windows; the entrances at the
ends and centre set forward, the outer ones have architraves,
lintels inscribed STUDIOS to the left, and SCHOOL OF ART to
the right, triglyphs to frieze above, and 2-leaf 8-panel
doors, the middle one in a porch with fluted Doric columns to
a frieze and cornice, with heraldic carving of a cartouche
held by beasts above. 3 semicircular-arched windows between
with glazing bars.
The first floor is in 3 sections, the outer ones articulated
by paired Corinthian pilasters flanking large shell head
niches with statues of Flaxman and Reynolds, with impost bands
and subsidiary pilasters to the middle, and balustrades above
with draped urn finials; between are 5 keyed
semicircular-arched windows articulated by attached Corinthian
columns, to a frieze and modillion cornice. The blind attic is
in 5 sections articulated by pilasters to a frieze and
cornice, balustrade to the outer sections with 3 inscribed
panels between, and 5 lunette niches with allegorical
carvings. A large carving of 3 female figures crowns the
parapet; large stacks each side with corbelled cornices.
INTERIOR: fine interior with much coloured marble: entrance
lobby with fluted pilasters, an imperial stair with black
turned balusters and rail, and large newel plinths with
cast-iron lamps with bowls; pedimented statue niche on the
half-landing; similar first-floor lobby has a coffered, domed
ceiling, and spandrels painted by Walter Crane; exhibition
rooms have Greek carved friezes below cornices with acroteria;
doorcases have panelled reveals, dentil cornices and 6-panel
doors.
NOTE: the original external stair was enclosed by Reay,
working to drawings by Bryan, who also glazed the piano nobile
and vaulted the first-floor lobby. Part of an outstanding
group of civic buildings, and a fine example of its type.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 349; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in
Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 33; Winstone R: Bristol As It Was:
Bristol).


Listing NGR: ST5783473418

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.