This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4584 / 51°27'30"N
Longitude: -2.6083 / 2°36'29"W
OS Eastings: 357833
OS Northings: 173448
OS Grid: ST578734
Mapcode National: GBR C5J.31
Mapcode Global: VH88M.QLYT
Plus Code: 9C3VF95R+9M
Entry Name: Victoria Chapel
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380888
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773SE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton
901-1/9/1135 (East side)
04/03/77 Victoria Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
Victoria Chapel (Methodist))
Methodist chapel. 1863. By Foster and Wood. Polychromatic
limestone and sandstone ashlar, Pennant rubble basement and E
end, and slate roof. Open plan with SW porch. French Gothic
Revival style, with use of structural polychromy.
Single storey and basement. E end has rose window with bar
tracery; N elevation is 6 bays, 2 depressed trefoil windows on
basement under relieving arch, and 2 ground-floor
trefoil-headed lights with rose window in plate tracery,
separated by deep buttresses with weathered tops, and foliate
corbel table; W porch with plain door, above it a weathered
broach stair tower with paired trefoil windows to each side.
Similar S elevation has a 2-bay W porch with Pennant steps, a
hollow-moulded doorway inside arch with foliate capitals and
hood with king and queen stops; gabled drip with Tudor flowers
and corner gargoyles, and parapet with pierced trefoils; the 2
plate-tracery side windows have paired trefoil-headed lights
and cinquefoil rose in flat polychromatic arch on slender
Wide, W gable has set-back buttresses with weathered tops and
central doorway of 3 orders, the inner to cusped cinquefoil
arch, with either side a blind arcade of trefoil arches with
arrow slits in the middle; drip with Tudor flowers rises into
tall gable hood above the arch, enclosing traceried tympanum,
and intersecting the middle of 3 tall W windows with weathered
plinths; each of 3 orders on banded shafts, with foliate
capitals which run into the corbel table to the sides, of 2
lights to sides and 3 in centre, Decorated tracery with
nailheads to the arches; in the apex 5 stepped lancets, 2nd
and 4th blind, beneath a roll-top coping and parapet finial.
Behind the gable is a tall copper spirelet.
INTERIOR: windows have cusped rere arches on foliate corbels,
linked by scrolled ribbon band; cusped arched-braced roof on
columns to corbels, and gallery at W end. Fittings largely
C20. 'One of our prettiest C19 chapels'. (Crick).
(Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 29).
Listing NGR: ST5783373448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings