This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5409 / 53°32'27"N
Longitude: -2.7184 / 2°43'6"W
OS Eastings: 352485
OS Northings: 405155
OS Grid: SD524051
Mapcode National: GBR 9WGH.8F
Mapcode Global: WH86S.68RB
Entry Name: Old Grammar School, to Rear of Numbers 8-14 (Numbers 8-14 Not Included)
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1220218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389064
Location: Up Holland, West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
District: West Lancashire
Civil Parish: Up Holland
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD5205 SCHOOL LANE
783-1/7/79 (North side (off))
07/01/52 Old Grammar School, to rear of Nos
8-14 (Nos 8-14 not included)
School, now workshop. Early C17, altered in early C18 and in
C20. Coursed squared sandstone with quoins, C20 pantile roof
(replacing stone slate).
T-plan formed by main range on east-west axis with projecting
porch-cum-stair-turret on south side. Two storeys, the eaves
raised by 3 courses; now 1:1 windows, the left side of the
porch and the whole of the range to the left of that now
covered by C19 or C20 workshops. The 2-storey gabled porch has
a 2-light double-chamfered stone mullioned window on each
floor, the lower now blocked with brick, and in the right-hand
re-entrant side a Tudor-arched doorway (now altered as a
window) with a chamfered surround, a massive lintel and a
straight drip-band run out left.
The main range to the right has a 4-light double-chamfered
mullioned window at ground floor, with a hoodmould, and at 1st
floor a small 3-light window with chamfered flush mullions.
The left gable wall has a 5-light double-chamfered mullioned
window at ground floor, and an inserted window above (flanked
by the jambs of a former mullioned window); the right-hand
gable wall has large wooden workshop doors replacing former
mullioned windows on both floors, both flanked by the returned
ends of former hoodmoulds.
The rear has two 4-light mullioned windows at ground floor
(like the others), the remains of a former mullioned window in
the centre of the 1st floor, an inserted window at this
position and similar inserted windows to left and right.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but altered staircase visible in
porch, and a series of large quarter-round moulded beams at
HISTORY: former list entry records "Plaque with Derby crest
and date 1633" but this was not visible at time of survey in
Listing NGR: SD5248505155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings