History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Homecroft

A Grade II Listed Building in Bury Green, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8731 / 51°52'23"N

Longitude: 0.1084 / 0°6'30"E

OS Eastings: 545242

OS Northings: 221488

OS Grid: TL452214

Mapcode National: GBR LCB.J7C

Mapcode Global: VHHLT.T5NY

Entry Name: Homecroft

Listing Date: 30 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1221051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 394643

Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Hadham

Built-Up Area: Bury Green

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Hadham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Thorley

Listing Text

TL 4521 LITTLE HADHAM BURY GREEN
(east side)

12/9 Homecroft

-

GV II

House. C16 or earlier. An unusually complete, long single
storey hall house facing N (shown on Clintons Estate Map of 1588
(HRO)): floor inserted and lower (E) bay of hall rebuilt with
chimneys and service end in L-shape in early C17: floor inserted
over this kitchen in early C18 but now still no communication
with chambers over hall and parlour. Timberframed with steep old
red tile roofs, gabled at W but half-hipped to E and N end of
wing. Modern hipped dormer n S. N side plastered and lined out
in panels. Weatherboarding elsewhere. 3-light wooden casements,
modern. Small hipped tiled canopy in angle over front door into
lobby by chimney. Twin doors to dairy (E), pantry (W) in wing on
N side of kitchen. Stair in NE corner to room over, adapted to
also serve room over kitchen. Walls of W part close studded with
tension bracing. Clasped purlin roof with principals not
diminished, in C16 part and later part. Curved brace from
original jowled post to chamfered tie beam of truss between
parlour and hall. Truss close studded and filled with wattle-
and-daub. Similar infilled truss on N side of chimney formerly
over middle of hall with nortice for brace to tie beam on S side.
Chamfered and hollow stopped joists on chamfered axial beam in
floor inserted below eaves in both hall and parlour. Former
stair in NW corner of parlour. New C18 winding stair in NE
corner of parlour entered from hall. The parlour is unheated.
Up to 1933 called The Vineyard. Part of group at N end of
Conservation Area.


Listing NGR: TL4524221488

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.