This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8744 / 51°52'27"N
Longitude: 0.1058 / 0°6'20"E
OS Eastings: 545060
OS Northings: 221635
OS Grid: TL450216
Mapcode National: GBR LCB.HJR
Mapcode Global: VHHLT.S49W
Entry Name: Hill Cottage
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 395342
Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Hadham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Hadham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4521 LITTLE HADHAM MILLFIELD LANE
12/8 Hill Cottage
House. C16. Timberframed. Steep half-hipped thatched roofs.
Tall red brick chimney rising at junction of wings, with later
additional flue on W for W wing. Walls plastered with
weatherboarded apron and side walls of W wing. L-plan facing S.
A most interesting and complete C16 range, possibly associated
with a hall to W replaced by later W wing. Marked as 'Clarkes'
on Clintons Estate map of 1588 (HRO). Single storey W wing
rebuilt in late C17, possibly shortened to 1 bay later. Low
pantiled lean-to in angle in 1969. Main accommodation in E part,
of 2 storeys with N room and S room on each floor. Lobby and
cross stair taken out of rear (N) rooms. S rooms heated by
external lateral chimney on W, with a lobby entrance on its S
flank taken out of W wing, and fireplace on each floor.
Dripboards on brackets across gables at eaves level. Small 2-
light wooden casements renewed. Plank door painted. Exposed
timbers inside, with close-studding, tension braces, heavy jowled
posts, roughly finished 4 bay clasped purlin roof probably
underceiled up to collars originally. Central cross partition
plastered up to apex of roof. Axial floor beams chamfered and
stopped. Square joists. Lower W wing is timberframed and
plastered up roof slope and under collars. Formerly had separate
S entrance. Corner-ties across NE and SE corners on wall plate.
Interior of E part virtually unchanged with brick floors in
Listing NGR: TL4506021635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings