This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7306 / 50°43'50"N
Longitude: -1.1638 / 1°9'49"W
OS Eastings: 459113
OS Northings: 92660
OS Grid: SZ591926
Mapcode National: GBR 9CN.0M8
Mapcode Global: FRA 87G4.SHW
Entry Name: The Anchorage
Listing Date: 18 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1222253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414367
Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Ryde
Built-Up Area: Ryde
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Ryde
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
ST THOMAS'S STREET
SZ 5992 3/295
Circa 1800 but with circa 1840/50 refacing and alterations. Three storeys
gault brick. Low pitch hipped slate roofs, eaves concealed by rendered
cornice and blocking course. Bands between storeys. Three windows, sash,
some with glazing bars intact, moulded flush wood frames and rendered
architrave surrounds added at time of rehandling, block sills. Later bay
window of three lights added to ground floor South. Central Doric porch,
columns to front, pilasters to wall. Recessed panelled and glazed door,
rectangular fanlight. Two storeyed wing to South of one window has a
small stone rubble walled yard with brick dressings and rendered cornice
and coping. Doorway to street flanked by banded brick piers with a
gauged brick arch. The North side of the yard has a small lean-to with a
segment headed sash window with glazing bars in the outer wall, which
is of brick.
North garden front: has bands and cornice carried round from entrance front.
Three windows and superimposed early type of three light bay windows to
East on ground and first floors, sashes with glazing bars, fluted pilasters,
bracketed cornice. Later C19 brick bay ground floor West of three
windows, segmental gauged brick arches.
Nos 2 to 5 (consec) form a group.
Also forms a group with No 6 St James's Street.
Listing NGR: SZ5911392660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings