This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8091 / 51°48'32"N
Longitude: -1.6356 / 1°38'8"W
OS Eastings: 425216
OS Northings: 212336
OS Grid: SP252123
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.F9M
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LSNJ
Plus Code: 9C3WR957+JP
Entry Name: Part of Burford Grammar School
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1223721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419539
Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Burford
Built-Up Area: Burford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Burford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BURFORD AND UPTON CHURCH LANE
AND SIGNET (South Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) No 2 (part of Burford
7/41 Grammar School)
House; up to 1887 an inn; now staff accommodation for Burford Grammar
School. Early-mid C17 appearance (with alterations). Courses rubble,
Cotswold stone roof. 2 storeys and attic. Long 2-storey range of 3
windows, with 2 window gabled range to right. Wood mullioned windows,
partly restored, main part of ground floor now has C20 casements: wooden
lintels on 1st floor and attic, chamfered to fit surrounds; on 1st floor
oak ovolo mullion windows to right of main range and to right of gable;
the ground floor of this gable has an excellent mid-C17 4:4-light king-
mullion window with rebated transom in ovolo-moulded surround, restored
ovolo-moulded lintel - part indeed of all-round evidence of repaired wall-
face; gable also retains leaded casements to the right hand (oak ovolo
again) of the 2 attic windows. Blocked doorway to left, 2 blocked
doorways in main block and an elliptical head doorway to right below a
relieving arch. 3 ashlar chimneys. Interior: the ground floor west room
entered by doubled chamfered doorcase with urn-stops, Tudor fire-place,
cross beams and 2 panels of strap-work plaster decoration; circular indent
in south wall for former stairs.
Brick extensions to rear.
William Morris's widow lived here.
Shown on OS map as Nos 1-4 with School House (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP2521612336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings